× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas Duo 4.1.12 all configuration lost after power outage

Jbrooksga
Aspirant

Readynas Duo 4.1.12 all configuration lost after power outage

I have 2 1TB drives with 750GB partition sizes running in mirrored fashion. After a power outage today, I noticed my credentials did not work for admin nor could I see any data on the network shares. Appears it reverted to the default config.

I also noticed that it was in the process of syncing the second drive, and said it would be a matter of hours to complete it. After seeing that I immediately pulled that second drive out manually as I sensed something had really gone wrong.

After enabling SSH, I see that my data is completely missing now (or appears to be) as running DF shows the space on the drive is almost completely free which wasn’t the case before.

Linux nas-02-19-7C 2.6.17.14ReadyNAS #1 Wed Jun 20 20:08:20 PDT 2012 padre unknown
nas-02-19-7C:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hdc1 1.9G 314M 1.6G 16% /
tmpfs 16k 0 16k 0% /USB
/dev/c/c 691G 541M 690G 1% /c
nas-02-19-7C:~#

How is it possible for a system to reset config on its own? I’m hoping there is some chance of recovering the data since it orginally was mirrored on 2 drives.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Model: ReadyNAS RND2110|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 1 of 6
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Readynas Duo 4.1.12 all configuration lost after power outage

Hi @Jbrooksga

Welcome to the Community!

The power outage might have contributed on the issue but certainly the NAS will not perform a Factory reset on it's own. Possible cause would be the RAID got out of sync or a disk failure due to the power outage and that is why a re-sync has initiated when it got back online. Taking out the disk during re-sync might not also be the best thing to do. Where you able to get logs before this happened?

You may want to try and contact Support for checking and Data recovery but there will be charges for the service, You can also try using Third party recovery softwares like ReCLAIMe which most of the members here have used.

if you want to contact Support you can always login to your MyNETGEAR Profile by going to my.netgear.com.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Marc_V wrote:

You can also try using Third party recovery softwares like ReCLAIMe which most of the members here have used.

R-Studio is a less expensive option that you could also try (since your NAS doesn't use BTRFS).

But maybe first try powering up the NAS with only disk 2 installed (in slot 2).  Use the boot menu option to skip the file system check.

Message 3 of 6
Jbrooksga
Aspirant

I have mounted both drives using utilities on both PC and Mac, but apparently both were initialized (or in the process of that)

My only saving grace appears to be that 6 months ago I replaced one of the drives due to increasing reports of smart errors. Most of the data I wanted to retain was unchanged since that time. I'm currently using extFS on a Mac to read and copy the data from that retired drive. There might be a few errors to deal with, but much better than losing everything.

Message 4 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

Pulling the drive was the absolutely worst thing you could have done.  Yes, something went wrong when the power went out.  And the NAS was in the process of repairing that when you interrupted it.  It's possible it wouldn't have succeeded, but you should have let it try.

Because re-sync requires a lot of drive activity, there is a chance your previously removed drive wouldn't survive it.  So it's good that you're backing up all data instead of just putting the old drive back in and trying to re-sync another drive.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

As you learned with this, RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe.  It keeps your data accessible during routine disk replacements, but the only way to keep the data safe is to back it up to at least one other device.  Personally I have at least two backups of anything I care about.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements