× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas Duo - Help with accessing - Error Help with

Tonyau
Aspirant

Readynas Duo - Help with accessing - Error Help with

Hello,

I have a ReadyNAsDuo which now will not let me access due the error stating… "The NAS you selected is on a different subnet, to access this device change your IP address to 192.168.168.x."
I am unsure how to do this, and have searched on line for solutions which are easy enough to follow, nut have had no luck.
Can I seek some assistance here please? There are so many important files for my family on the NAs which would be horrible to lose.

Details here -
* Model RND2000. the label says V2, but I believe it to be a V1. Still not sure, could do with further explanation to see which I have.
* I can see the device on RAIDar, *V4.1.3) but get the error above when wanting to browse / setup etc. I’ve tried installing newer version s of RAIDar, but 4.1.3 was the only I can see it with.
* I'm using Win10.

I will attach pics of the model, and of the error to assist.

Please someone help 🙂

Model: RND2000|ReadyNAS Duo Chassis only
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Tonyau
Aspirant

Re: Readynas Duo - Help with accessing - Error Help with

Apologies for delay in response. We had a family member who has been ill, and I didnt have email responses flagged, and haven't checked since I last responded.

Your assistance has worked, and I was able to access the NAS after the advice from @StephenB , the only difference was I used an old router sitting in the cupboard, and then enabling SMB 1.0 client.

MANY THANKS guys, I'm very grateful for your help, and again, apologies it took a week or so to respond.

Peace!

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

It would be helpful if you post the RAIDar screen shot.  That should also show what firmware the Duo is running (which would confirm the model).  FWIW, an easy way to confirm the model is to look at the front panel.  A v1 will say "Duo"; a v2 will say "Duo v2".

Have you tried rebooting the NAS?  Alternatively disconnect the ethernet cable for a few seconds and then reconnect it.

@Tonyau wrote:

There are so many important files for my family on the NAs which would be horrible to lose.

FWIW, RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe.  If you don't back up your data, at some point you will lose it. 

After we manage to restore access you should put a backup plan in place.

Message 2 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

It would help very much if you explained how you got there.  Did you swap out a component in your network, like the router?  Or did you change some router settings?  Did you make changes in the NAS GUI?  Or was it working and then this "just happened"?

It sounds like you set the NAS to a static IP, either outside the range of your router's subnet to start with or outside of it after making a router change, but I don't want to jump to that conclusion.

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

It sounds like you set the NAS to a static IP, either outside the range of your router's subnet to start with or outside of it after making a router change, but I don't want to jump to that conclusion.

It sounds to me like dhcp failed for some reason, since the IP address for the NAS seems to be the dhcp failover address.  But that is just jumping to a different conclusion.

And I agree it would be helpful to get more context on what happened before the failure.

Message 4 of 10
Tonyau
Aspirant

Thanks for replying @StephenB  and @Sandshark . 

@StephenB 

- Pic of front attached. Based on your description I have a Version 1 - Please confirm?

- Will post RAIDar screenshot again, I thought I attached it in the first message but seemingly it did not upload.

"Have you tried rebooting the NAS?  Alternatively disconnect the Ethernet cable for a few seconds and then reconnect it."

- Yes, I have done both several times. I have also bypassed the router entirely and have a direct LAN connection to my PC, it did not help.

"After we manage to restore access you should put a backup plan in place."

- Agreed, it is my intention to protect the data in a more prudent manner, thanks

@Sandshark . "It would help very much if you explained how you got there.  Did you swap out a component in your network, like the router?  Or did you change some router settings?  Did you make changes in the NAS GUI?  Or was it working and then this "just happened"?"

- Nothing else from the original layout was changed, except I did remove a simple 8 port powered network switch which was sharing LAN ethernet to my home, it seemed flakey, and wasn't really needed as I had sufficient ports on my router(Modem), I connected all my component to that and it worked fine until 'one day the NAS just wasn't accessible anymore', and here I find myself.

"It sounds like you set the NAS to a static IP, either outside the range of your router's subnet to start with or outside of it after making a router change, but I don't want to jump to that conclusion."

- Its been working flawlessly for years, I do not recall changing anything, and tbh I don't really know how to change, or the need to change, but I cant rule it out as it has been years. Definitely not changed anything recently.

Thanks again to both of you for taking the time to assist.

Message 5 of 10
Tonyau
Aspirant

Raidar Error Screenshot as requested.

Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Tonyau wrote:
- Pic of front attached. Based on your description I have a Version 1 - Please confirm?

Raidar Error Screenshot as requested.

Both confirm you have a v1.  FWIW, your firmware is also outdated - current firmware is 4.1.16.  Your firmware goes back to 2012.  We should also take care of that after we restore access.

@Tonyau wrote:

- Nothing else from the original layout was changed, except I did remove a simple 8 port powered network switch which was sharing LAN ethernet to my home, it seemed flakey, and wasn't really needed

It sounds like that was done a long time ago - is that correct?

@Tonyau wrote:

I have also bypassed the router entirely and have a direct LAN connection to my PC, it did not help.

Do you have a direct connection now?  That would explain the IP address problem.  Your router allocates an IP address to everything that connects to it - using a service called dhcp.  But your PC doesn't have that service, so when you do a direct connect, the NAS will fail over to IP address 192.168.168.168.

So if you have a direct connection now, try moving the connection back to the router.  Then see what IP address RAIDar shows.

Did you recently update the operating system on the PC?

Are you running Windows 10?  

Message 7 of 10
Tonyau
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

Both confirm you have a v1.  FWIW, your firmware is also outdated - current firmware is 4.1.16.  Your firmware goes back to 2012.  We should also take care of that after we restore access.

NO Probs, will do after we restore access.

@StephenB wrote:   

It sounds like that was done a long time ago - is that correct?

Yes, some time ago, and it was working fine after the switch removal, so it did not change anything at that time, it was fine until tis problem arose.

@StephenB wrote:

Do you have a direct connection now?  That would explain the IP address problem.  Your router allocates an IP address to everything that connects to it - using a service called dhcp.  But your PC doesn't have that service, so when you do a direct connect, the NAS will fail over to IP address 192.168.168.168.

So if you have a direct connection now, try moving the connection back to the router.  Then see what IP address RAIDar shows.

I have now done this - changed back to the router - Now Raidar does not find any NAS after scanning for it... 😞 

SO, when connected directly to PC, I can see the NAS with Raidar, bit when connected to the router, nothing on RAIDar

Did you recently update the operating system on the PC?

Are you running Windows 10?  

No, and yes to Win 10.

Thanks for the response. 

Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Tonyau wrote:

I have now done this - changed back to the router - Now Raidar does not find any NAS after scanning for it... 😞 

SO, when connected directly to PC, I can see the NAS with Raidar, but when connected to the router, nothing on RAIDar

Can you check the router's attached devices list, and see if the NAS is listed there?  If it is, let us know what the IP address is.

Another option is to connect the PC to the router with ethernet, and see try RAIDar again.

@Tonyau wrote:

yes to Win 10.

Then in order to access the files you need to enable SMB 1.0 client in the PC.  You can check this by going into "turn windows features on or off".  If it is disabled you will need to re-enable it.

Message 9 of 10
Tonyau
Aspirant

Apologies for delay in response. We had a family member who has been ill, and I didnt have email responses flagged, and haven't checked since I last responded.

Your assistance has worked, and I was able to access the NAS after the advice from @StephenB , the only difference was I used an old router sitting in the cupboard, and then enabling SMB 1.0 client.

MANY THANKS guys, I'm very grateful for your help, and again, apologies it took a week or so to respond.

Peace!

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements