× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas Duo and the slow blinking blue light

zakapatul
Aspirant

Readynas Duo and the slow blinking blue light

Hello all,
I'm the lucky owner of a readynas duo with a single Seagate disk of 1TB with default configuration (X-Raid i think).
The Readynas was working fine for months until yesterday : i got this slow blinking blue light at boot. After 24h hours waiting, the issue is the same : i can not access to my data.
The Readynas is running Raidiator 4.1.7, it's still detected by RAIDar wich only show the firmware version in the info column.
Ping is ok but i can not access anymore the web interface, neither my SMB shares, even my ssh connection is blocked.

I spent several hours reading forums and FAQ without finding any clue about what's happening with my Readynas Duo... So i wonder :
1) What's happening with my nas, anyone knows the origin of the problem ?
2) Is there a way to get back my readynas working ?
3) Is there a way to read data from the Readynas HDD pluging it on my computer for example ?

I will keep looking for any informations, if someone could help it would be great 🙂

PS : Sorry for my mistakes, i'm doing my best to write understandable english 😉
Message 1 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

1. Could be a problem due to an add-on installed, but that's just a guess.
2. Yes. I'd suggest contacting tech support for assistance (https://my.netgear.com/myNETGEAR/support.asp). Post your case number in this thread.
3. That would be a last resort.
Message 2 of 13
zakapatul
Aspirant

Thank you mdgm for your quick answer ! i submitted my problem on the url you mention. Here is my case number : 15019303.
Is there something i can try waiting for the tech support answer ?
Message 3 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are both your disks showing solid green LEDs?

Well I guess you could try powering the NAS off, then removing the power, waiting a minute or two, reconnecting the power then turning it on again. If it still doesn't work you could perhaps try a firmware re-install: http://www.readynas.com/forum/faq.php#How_do_I_re-install_the_firmware%3F
Message 4 of 13
zakapatul
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Are both your disks showing solid green LEDs?

I'm pretty sure they are (i can not check being currently at work :/, will do asap).

mdgm wrote:
Well I guess you could try powering the NAS off, then removing the power, waiting a minute or two, reconnecting the power then turning it on again.

Sadly i already tried... without success 😞 I think i will try the firmware re-install this weekend. I assume doing this i will lost all my configuration, my addons and so on... Not a big deal even if i spent a lot of time on it. Is there a risk for my data with this procedure ? If yes maybe would it be better to backup the disk content before ?

Thank you again for your support !
Message 5 of 13
zakapatul
Aspirant

By the way, is there a way to backup and restore the content of the "system" ?
Message 6 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

zakapatul wrote:

Sadly i already tried... without success 😞 I think i will try the firmware re-install this weekend. I assume doing this i will lost all my configuration, my addons and so on...

It will re-install the firmware. Data and most configuration will remain intact. Some addons may be broken by the re-install of the firmware.
zakapatul wrote:

Not a big deal even if i spent a lot of time on it. Is there a risk for my data with this procedure ? If yes maybe would it be better to backup the disk content before ?

A firmware re-install doesn't touch your data. In any case I recommend you have a good backup of important data primarily stored on the ReadyNAS.

zakapatul wrote:

By the way, is there a way to backup and restore the content of the "system" ?

Not in the current state your NAS is in. How can you backup the data when you can't connect to the device? I think you'll need NetGear to have a look at it to see if they can get it back up and running.
Message 7 of 13
zakapatul
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Not in the current state your NAS is in. How can you backup the data when you can't connect to the device? I think you'll need NetGear to have a look at it to see if they can get it back up and running.

I wasn't thinking to do a backup right now 😉 In the hypothesis i re-install the firmware and all my params/addons/software, i would be interested backing it up, in case of failure. Is there a way to accomplish this ? It could be a script to launch on the ReadyNas to save the modified files or restore them for example... I assume the system only takes a few gigabytes ?
Message 8 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The firmware is stored on a separate 2GB partition to your data. It shouldn't be using anywhere close to that.

For example one of my NV+ units currently has only 530MB used:

MDGM-NAS:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hdc1 1.9G 530M 1.4G 27% /
tmpfs 16k 0 16k 0% /USB
/dev/c/c 4.1T 4.0T 68G 99% /c

If the firmware re-install is successful hopefully you'll get access to Frontview, SSH and/or CIFS and be able to backup your data. Otherwise you'd need to see if you can get tech support's help to get your system back up and running.
Message 9 of 13
multighe
Aspirant

I have booted this morning my Readynas Duo (spark) with 2 x 2TB hdd and almost-latest firmware (not the september one).
The situation after about one hour is:
- blue light blinking (fast?)
- solid green light for the 2 disks alternated with periods with only disk one light on or other periods of no green light

Tried to understand what's happening but the nas is unreachable (radair or browser-ip).

What is happening? LED guide doesn't help.
How to recover?

Thanks
Message 10 of 13
multighe
Aspirant

Now also act green led is on fixed.
Fan has been full on all the time.
Message 11 of 13
multighe
Aspirant

After a few hours the NAS came back online.
Still a mistery what happened.
I just let it do its way.
Message 12 of 13
PtolemyIV
Aspirant

I had something similar just now after a network crash caused connection to be lost whilst transferring a large file to the NAS.

When i subsequently tried to turn off the NAS it wouldn't turn off without hard reset and when turned back on I got the slow flashing blue light... (with both green hdd lights on) - couldn't connect via web or samba.

After about 30 minutes it eventually went back to being solid and I could connect again - my guess therefore is it was just doing a full disk checking or the like post-crash so maybe you had likewise but just took a long time due to many small files on the drive?
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements