× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas Duo reallocated sectors

rebop
Tutor

Readynas Duo reallocated sectors

Hi folks,

Reallocated sectors started Saturday with 2 on disk 1. Today another so I am at 3. A few questions:

1. Which is disk 1? the one on the left as you view from the front?

2. At what point do I consider replacing the drive? 3 is not much. But is it the number of sectors or the frequency of new sectors being reallocated that should trigger a drive replacement?

Thanks.

~Bob
Message 1 of 6
Hibtek
Aspirant

Re: Readynas Duo reallocated sectors

Hi Bob,

I believe that disk 1 is to the left when viewed from the front, can you set the light to blink fron Frontview? Volume, then Click Locate?

I have a Duo with 2 Drives, one of them is up to 6 I think, the threashold is 8, or at least thats what I have found out. My Drive is only 18 months old though, with a 3 year warranty, so Im going to wait, if it gets to 10 or higher then I will get mine replaced.

How old are you drives, are they still under warranty? you could get it replaced, I would take a backup if you have important data on there.

Chris
Message 2 of 6
rebop
Tutor

Thanks Chris.

Drive is still under warranty. Maybe a year old. But Seagate says it has to fail for a replacement to be issued. And have Seatools run which is impossible for me wthout a desktop computer.

~Bob
Message 3 of 6
bbaraniec
Luminary

Hi Bob,

From my personal experience, NO MORE SEAGATE! I had 6xST3500320NS. First drive died after 3 maybe 4 months.
Got replaced by Seagate. Another drives! started to fail. Almost every week at least one drive reported reallocated sectors count increase.
Another drive died which also got replaced. Guess what 3rd drive died next month. I was able to see thou how many reallocated sectors is too many. It's around 250ish. I got another drive again but since all 5 drives (yes, even those already replaced) started to dying I wasn't able to rebuild volume. Yeah, I had to copy almost 3TB onto external drives, sweet. I have sent all drives back and all got replaced - ST31000528AS.
I was like wtf? 2 of 6 drive are already "Certified repair" or how is it called. Well at least I was able to get my Nas back into game.
Guess what 3 of 6 drives are having reallocated sectors:
Reallocated Sector Count	2
Power On Hours 588

Seriously? I know, those aren't server dedicated drives but I have few servers at work. Few with Seagate Enterprise drives and believe me if drive has failed, it was Seagate. So I'm very unhappy with Seagate, never gonna buy them again, never gonna recommend it even to my enemy 🙂
They have to replace your drive! Sorry for wall of text.
Message 4 of 6
Hibtek
Aspirant

Ah, I had that a few years ago, they apparently had a lot of drives sent back which were not faulty, but making a click, which was a normal click a Seagate techy bloke told me.... I told him I don't like any of my drive making a click noise.

Can you get a USB caddy on a Windows PC at all, Seatools with a Short Disk Test is non destructive and does not do anything to the data.

It might be the only way to get a fault code.

I think its just a case of seeing how it goes, mines up to 6 in about 18 months, its more as the drive got full, I was told that they do have a set amount for these reallocated sectors, not sure how many it is though, you could do a google for make of drive Smart thresholds? see what that returns, I think mine was 8 in the reallocate Sectors count.....but that was a while ago

Do you backup the regular stuff? it should all be ok on the 2nd Drive, but you are vunrable running only one disk 🙂

Its amaxing how much you sweat when you know you only have one disk in the NAS.... never bothered me in my PC before....Strange 😄

With previous post though, I have also gone off Seagate, now on to Western Digital
Message 5 of 6
bbaraniec
Luminary

Yeah I know that feeling when your volume is not safe 🙂
I still have a backup of most important files in two different place, I know, I'm strange 😛
I'm going with Hitachi this time, wish me luck.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements