× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas Duo unresponsive after disk swap

jpmoynihan
Aspirant

Readynas Duo unresponsive after disk swap

HI everyone,

Well I guess I've had a good 7 years out of this kit !

I noticed the SMART errors warning on disk 2 a couple of weeks back . This device is unsupported now and none of the recommended drives are available new so I picled up a used WD20EARS off eBay.

It's now been synching for about 36 hours and the NAS is no longer visible on my network -  I have email alerts up until the sync started so at some time early in the sync it's dropped off my network - connections at the back of the NAS and at the switch look okaly and live.

So just wondering if anyone has had experiece of this ? Is 36 hours exceessive ? I'm storing 500 GB on a 2TB disk array ( x raid )

Is this ebay used disk likely to be so corrupt that it's knocked the NAS off the network ?  Should I have got a new 2TB disk even if they arent on the recommended compatible list ? Is it time for a new NAS ? 

Model: ReadyNASRND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas Duo unresponsive after disk swap

36 hours is excessive.  The used disk is likely the issue.

The HCL is very dated, I've used a WD20EFRX myself (2 TB WD Red) with no problems (and recommended it to other v1 NAS owners).

I'd power it down, and remove disk 2.  Then power up and see if the NAS comes back to life.  If it does, back up the data,

@jpmoynihan wrote:

Is it time for a new NAS ? 

I suspect you can get the duo up and running with a new disk.  But it might be time to get something new - the duo v1 is slow by modern standards, and all the new models are much faster also have much higher capacities and more features.  An RN202 or RN212 would be good replacements.

If you get the new NAS before the old one fails, you can copy the data over to it (NAS->NAS) with a frontview backup job.

My own duo v1 is still running, though I only use it for backing up my main NAS.  I won't invest more money in it, but I'll happily use it while it lasts.

Message 2 of 3
jpmoynihan
Aspirant

Re: Readynas Duo unresponsive after disk swap

Thanks for the reply !

There's been a new development tho ! A couple of hours afer I posted, the NAS poppped up on my network again and sent me two days of alerts. One of which informs me that new firmware is available. It's downloaded the new firmware and was asking for a manual reboot to complete the update process . I rebooted , it rebooted itsef a couple of times , sent me an alert that "RAID sync started on volume C." and ithen it dropped off the network again  : it seems to be still syncing Disk 2 . I think i'll give it a few hours before taking your advice of losing the Ebay disk and attempting a backup to a new NAS..   

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements