× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas F/W 6.8.1 replaced "bad" drive and now receiving Remove Inactive Volumes to

jrhslick
Aspirant

Readynas F/W 6.8.1 replaced "bad" drive and now receiving Remove Inactive Volumes to use the disk #

Bad sectors were climbing on disk in slot 2 -

"Detected increasing pending sector: count [160] on disk 2 (Internal) [WDC WD20EARS-00U0AB0, WD-WMAZ20099024] 28 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy."

before I swapped the drive I found there was the new F/W (6.8.1) so i installed that. When that completed, I swapped the drive out.

Around 4 hours later the rebuild/resync was complete but now the number 4 disk showed failed. I rebooted the system again and that is where we are now.

Under the systems tab and Volumes, I show data-0 with 5.44 TB - Freespace 0 - type RAID 5

also there is a data volume listed with 0 TB - 0 Freespace Type RAID unknown.

The shares show in the directory but I am unable to access them.

Running Windows 10

Any help will be gratefully accepted!

John

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Readynas F/W 6.8.1 replaced "bad" drive and now receiving Remove Inactive Volumes to

Is your backup up to date?

Message 2 of 18
jrhslick
Aspirant

I was using the RAID5 as my backup...
Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 3 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I was talking about backup to USB disk, another NAS, or some place else.

RAID is not a replacement for backing up your data.

RAID is great, but multiple disk failures is just one thing that RAID-5 won't protect you against.

Disk failures are the most likely hardware failures to occur, so using RAID is important, but it's important to keep that in perspective.

Disk 4 does have a current pending sector count of 2, but that count increased to that value way back in January 2015. There were no recent SMART value changes to warn of the failure. Sometimes things happen that way.

When you replace a faulty disk in a RAID-5 array you are vulnerable to failure of one of the other disks till the rebuild completes.

As you don't have a backup you may wish to contact support and see what they can do. There would be some costs involved and they may be completely unsuccessful.

Your disks all have very high load cycle counts. WD doesn't recommend using their WD Green disks in RAID arrays.

Message 4 of 18
Kimera
Guide

With four disks better to use RAID6: RAID is not a backup solution as already written but, at least, a RAID6 Volume (available space considerations apart) is able to survive to two concurrent disks failures with respect to a Volume created using RAID5 with the same number of disks...and disks type matters (go with supported disks engineered for NAS operation...their endurance is worth their initial higher costs).

Message 5 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Kimera wrote:

With four disks better to use RAID6: RAID is not a backup solution... 

The key point is RAID is not a backup solution no matter what mode you use.  Pretending otherwise is just wishful thinking.  So we fully agree on that.

On RAID6, I think it depends. Since you need a backup anyway, then why not get the extra space (and better write performance) of RAID5? RAID5 is also cheaper to expand (assuming no empty slots).

The RAID mode is always a balancing of performance, storage efficiency, and redundancy (availability).  If maximizing availability is the main requirement, then I'd agree that RAID6 is the best mode with 4 equal size disks.  But that might not be what you want to optimize for.

Message 6 of 18
jrhslick
Aspirant

Understand the RAID5/RAID6 options. the RN104 will do RAID5......

Message 7 of 18
jrhslick
Aspirant

Message 8 of 18
jrhslick
Aspirant

I'll have to call into support and see what they recommend.

Thanks

Message 9 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@jrhslick wrote:

... and will do RAID-6, but performance isn't that great.

Message 10 of 18
jrhslick
Aspirant

RAID6 is not an option in the settings that show for mine?
Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 11 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@jrhslick wrote:
RAID6 is not an option in the settings that show for mine?

You can still set it up if you want.  You'd switch out of XRAID, insert the fourth disk, and add it for redundancy.  Then switch back into XRAID if you like.

But if you have a 4 disk volume already, you'd need to destroy it (and your data) to get there.

Message 12 of 18
Kimera
Guide

@StephenB wrote:
The key point is RAID is not a backup solution no matter what mode you use.  Pretending otherwise is just wishful thinking.  So we fully agree on that.
On RAID6, I think it depends. Since you need a backup anyway, then why not get the extra space (and better write performance) of RAID5? RAID5 is also cheaper to expand (assuming no empty slots).
The RAID mode is always a balancing of performance, storage efficiency, and redundancy (availability).  If maximizing availability is the main requirement, then I'd agree that RAID6 is the best mode with 4 equal size disks.  But that might not be what you want to optimize for.

Exactly. RAID is not a backup solution...but, given that a RAID5 Volume created using three or four disks will survive only to one disk failure and, given also that very often users fall down on the scenario where a disk faults on a RAID5 Volume when, concurrently, a remaining disk of the degraded RAID5 Volume starts suddenly having other worrying issues...the resiliency against this typical situation is to lose some Volume available space in order to gain, by using RAID6, a better availability and a better resiliency against this infaust two disks concurrent failure scenario.

Performance is not a word I'll put on the table when dealing with low-end NAS like the ReadyNAS 104 (computationally speaking a ReadyNAS 314 has no issue in dealing with a RAID6 on 4 disks and writing performance is good enough at a point it is able to saturate the typical gigabit per second link used to connect to LAN on those units).

As I said and as you already wrote: Backup, Backup and Backup to an external device/NAS...but we should not forget that average users should learn how to setup their NAS thinking that those corner cases (two concurrent disks failures) happen not so infrequently. Better always be double prepared than having the maximum of Volume free space. That's clearly my personal point of view...

Message 13 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Kimera wrote:
but we should not forget that average users should learn how to setup their NAS thinking that those corner cases (two concurrent disks failures) happen not so infrequently. 

I do understand your point of view, and we agree that multiple disk failures happen more often than most people think. 

But I've been active here a long time, and in my experience it's much better to give average users a clear understanding of the need for backup.  All to often, pushing dual redundancy leads to people dismissing that.  On the whole I think XRAID default settings are the right balance for most users.

We are off-topic though, so if there are followups we should shift to a different thread.

Message 14 of 18
jrhslick
Aspirant

Of my showing folders, which is the inactive one?

Message 15 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@jrhslick wrote:

Of my showing folders, which is the inactive one?

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking.

Did you get a response from support?

Message 16 of 18
jrhslick
Aspirant

Nothing from support. Figures though as my support agreement expired just 2 weeks ago.

Message 17 of 18
jrhslick
Aspirant

Re-established support contract. Lets see what they can do for me...

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements