× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas NV+ SLOW TRANSFER SPEED

Astiran
Aspirant

Readynas NV+ SLOW TRANSFER SPEED

ReadyNAS NV+

RAIDiator 4.1.15

4x 1TB WD Green

Raid 5

PC is gigbit, but my transfer speed maxes out at 12MB/sec.  I've tried connecting directly to the NAS, and no change in speed. Jumbo frames is diabled on pc and nas.  No smart+ errors.  Cables are tested and good.  Any other suggestions? Just used NAS Tester and the top write speed was under 11MB/sec.

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 29
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas NV+ SLOW TRANSFER SPEED

Is the NAS also showing 1 gigabit for the ethernet connection?

FWIW, this is slower than usual, but you won't get anywhere close to gigabit speed with an NV+.  You should be seeing something around 20 MB/s.

Message 2 of 29
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Astiran,

Do you have any add-ons and/or backup job running at the same time? Also, how do you transfer files?

This link might help.

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 3 of 29
Astiran
Aspirant

My PC and ReadyNAS show gigabit when I go into my modem.  I've also tried connecting directly to the readynas with an ethernet cable (cat6, brand new).  

Message 4 of 29
Astiran
Aspirant

No backup jobs, and no addons.  I transfer using CIFS. I've also used NAStester and had the same results.  I've tried with jumo frames enabled, and disabled on both my pc and readynas.

Message 5 of 29
StephenB
Guru

Can you use this guide to check block size and 4K alignment?  http://www.rnasguide.com/2011/06/22/why-you-might-want-to-factory-reset-a-sparc-readynas/

NAStester uses CIFS btw.

Message 6 of 29
Astiran
Aspirant

I'll begin backing up my NAS today after work (2pm cst). I don't doubt this could be the issue and I'll look at the logs tonight to verify. Thank you for the link and information.
Message 7 of 29
StephenB
Guru

Normally lack of 4K alignment hurts performance with 2 TB drives, not the 1 TB models you are using.  Though it might impact performance with newer 1 TB disk models too - it depends on how they are constructed.   The block size would only be an issue if the volume was created using RAIDiator 3.x firmware.

But if the volume is very old, you might find that a factory reset will improve the performance anyway.

Another place to look is at the network stats.  If you are seeing ethernet errors or dropped packets, that is a clue that the issue is network related.

Message 8 of 29
Astiran
Aspirant

I've had the ReadyNAS for quite a few years. Home was struck by lightning and had to replace the ReadyNAS about 4 months ago because the ethernet port was fried by the lightning. Swapped the drives to the new readynas and I didn't lose any data. I've done a firmware update, but I'm going to back everything up starting today (about 1.7 TB) and start from scratch to see if it makes a difference. I'm using raid 5,would you recommend a different raid setup?
Message 9 of 29
StephenB
Guru

@Astiran wrote:
 I'm using raid 5,would you recommend a different raid setup?

The NV+ actually uses RAID4 (dedicated parity disk) - the GUI does call it RAID5 though.

RAID5/XRAID is a good setup.  

@Astiran wrote:
...the ethernet port was fried by the lightning. Swapped the drives to the new readynas and I didn't lose any data.

I'm glad you didn't.  As I'm sure you know, you easily could have.  Likely the NIC card acted like a fuse, and protected the drives. 

Message 10 of 29
Astiran
Aspirant

I was very lucky in that aspect, and only paid $140 for the new readynas. Should have set up a remote connection to my pc so I could have started transferring everything off while I'm at work. Hindsight..
I didn't realize that it doesn't actually use raid 5. I do need the redundancy to protect my data, but is there a difference between the raid 5 and xraid? Or is it just a different name?
Message 11 of 29
StephenB
Guru

@Astiran wrote:

I didn't realize that it doesn't actually use raid 5. I do need the redundancy to protect my data,

It has the same redundancy as RAID-5.  The only difference is the organization of the parity blocks.  RAID-5 distributes the parity blocks over all the disks, RAID-4 puts them all on a dedicated parity disk.   Distributing the blocks evens out the I/O across the disks.  Your NV+ has hardware acceleration for RAID, and I think that is why it uses RAID-4.

Newer NAS (NV+ v2, ultra, pro, all OS 6 NAS) use RAID-5.

@Astiran wrote:
is there a difference between the raid 5 and xraid?

XRAID is built on top of standard RAID.  In your NAS it will convert from single disk->raid 1->raid 4 as you add drives.  If you upgrade all four drives, it will also expand the volume automatically.  As you likely know, the NV+ can't handle drives larger than 2 TB.

On newer NAS, it can also handle drives of different sizes, and (if you want it) dual redundancy.

Message 12 of 29
Astiran
Aspirant

Found this in my partition logs.

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/hde'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/md0 doesn't contain a valid partition table
Disk /dev/md1 doesn't contain a valid partition table
Disk /dev/md2 doesn't contain a valid partition table

Disk /dev/hdc: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders, total 1953525168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdc1 32 4096031 2048000 fd Linux raid autodetect
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/hdc2 4096032 5144607 524288 fd Linux raid autodetect
Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/hdc3 5144608 1953508815 974182104 fd Linux raid autodetect
Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.

Disk /dev/hde: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders, total 1953525168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Message 13 of 29
StephenB
Guru

@Astiran wrote:

Found this in my partition logs.

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/hde'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

This is normal, so don't worry about it.  I don't know why Netgear continues to run fdisk.

Message 14 of 29
Astiran
Aspirant

Still no luck.  Backed up all of my data, did a complete reset, formatted to raid 5, still getting about 10MB/s write speeds.  I'm thinking when I'm in the market for a new nas I might just avoid netgear.  I used to have a WD Sharespace and it was faster than this, even though it was quite a bit older.

Message 15 of 29
StephenB
Guru

Your NV+ v1's hardware design goes back to 2006 - I don't think WD was building NAS back then.  It's been end-of-life for over 5 years.  A new ReadyNAS can delivers 50-100+ MB/sec on a gigabit network (depending on which model you purchase).

That said, 10 MB/sec is slower than it should be.  Did you look at the ethernet stats for packet loss?

Message 16 of 29
Astiran
Aspirant

I had a WD Sharespace back around 2008 or maybe a year or 2 later.  I just got the ReadyNAS in about 2012 or 2013.  I'm looking at the network errors popup from frontview and:

Auto-negotiation 0

Bad packets 0

Disconnect 0

False carrier 0

Idle errors 0

Link failures 0

Receive errors 0

Symbol errors 0

VLAN tags 1517

TCP Retransmits 79

Unrecovered TCP Retransmits 33

Message 17 of 29
StephenB
Guru

The NV+ v2 was launched in Nov 2011, so you must have purchased right around the time the retail channels were getting rid of inventory.

It's unusual to see vlan tags.  Do you have vlans set up on your network? 

The TCP errors aren't that unusual, though if there weren't a lot of packets sent they could be a clue.

Message 18 of 29
Astiran
Aspirant

I'm currently transferring everything back to the NAS now so there is a lot of data going through.  I don't have any vlans setup at all, at the option in frontview is UNchecked as well.

Message 19 of 29
StephenB
Guru

Still, the NAS is seeing packets come in that have VLAN tags.  They have to be coming from somewhere...

Message 20 of 29
Astiran
Aspirant

Any suggestions on where I should start looking??

Message 21 of 29
StephenB
Guru

Do you have managed ethernet switches on your network?  

Message 22 of 29
Astiran
Aspirant

No switch, bridge, or router (except for the xfinity modem/router)
Message 23 of 29
StephenB
Guru

Odd.  Is the “xfinitywifi" network running?

Message 24 of 29
Astiran
Aspirant

No, I shut that feature off the day I setup the modem.
Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements