× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas OS 6.9, High Sierra, Time Machine

gonzonia
Aspirant

Readynas OS 6.9, High Sierra, Time Machine

After upgrading my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) to macOS High Sierra (10.13) the ReadyNAS no longer appears in the Finder. I'm able to connect to it fine by IP addresswith SMB  and I was able to connect with AFP using "afp://ReadyNAS%20(AFP)._afpovertcp._tcp.local" from recent servers, but it doesn't show under devices in the Finder sidebar. 

Raidar sees it fine, other machines on the network that have not been upgraded to Sierra do not have this problem. 

Not a huge deal, but wondering if it's an Apple issue, a Netgear issue, or something unique to me.

Model: RN626X | ReadyNAS 626X 6-Bay with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 1 of 16
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello gonzonia,

I have not seen other post similar to this problem you are encountering, meaning if this is an issue with the NAS other community members would have reported the same concern. For a guide to access the NAS via AFP please go here.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 16
Ziggs
Aspirant

I am not a ReadyNAS user but this EXACT same thing happened to me on my Nighthawk X6S router where I had an external USB drive attached as my TimeMachine backup point.  Since upgrading to HighSierra on my MacBook Pro, the Mac no longer sees the drive on the router.

Message 3 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

@Marty_M, relying on other community users who may be (and in most cases probably are not) using a beta version of the NAS firmware with the most recent version of Apple's OS and Time Machine to let you know if there is a problem with your product is not an effective way to test your software and blowing off the first one to report it is even worse.

Message 4 of 16
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@gonzonia,

Sorry for the confusion, what I do mean is that this might be an isolated issue might be a problem on the NAS or might be cause by something else. The next best option would be to isolate the problem, as mentioned on your last reply the exact same problem occur after upgrading the firmware of your nighthawk router. The router and the NAS are different hardware devices and have their own respective firmware.    

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 16
gonzonia
Aspirant

@Marty_M

I appreciate the reply. It's odd. Now the ReadyNas does appear in the Shared section of Finder. I don't know what changed. 

However, in your reply above you were confusing me with @Ziggs. I don't have a Nighthawk router. 

Message 6 of 16
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@gonzonia,

Sorry I misread and thought that was one of your update however through finder you can access the NAS via ip address and hostname. There is a possibility just took time for the MAC computer to detect and resolve the hostname.     

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I've found even for detecting other Mac computers, Apple's discovery of devices on the network can be a bit hit and miss at times.

Message 8 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

I've found even for detecting other Mac computers, Apple's discovery of devices on the network can be a bit hit and miss at times.

Sounds just like windows... Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 16
ovrdrvn
Aspirant

Message 10 of 16
gonzonia
Aspirant

Thanks. I was actually able to mount it in SMB though (via IP address, but not name) so that wasn't the problem. 

Whatever it is, it's fine now. Everything shows in Finder as expected. It may have been a local issue or an apple issue. 

Message 11 of 16
loco42
Aspirant

Hi,

can you please confirm that you have ReadyNas working with the TimeMachine and High Sierra.

Based on this feedback from apple this is no longer possible:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7729199?start=0&tstart=0

And it does not work on my side.  If you have it working please be so kind and provide some details: e.g. ReadyNas Version, MacOs Version, smp vs afp, manuall mount procedure, etc.

Thanks a lot in advance

Karl

Model: RN3138|ReadyNAS 3138 Series 4-Bay
Message 12 of 16
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @loco42

We have a Mac mini late 2012 running on High Sierra 10.13.2 which is currently using Time machine on a ReadyNAS 312 without any issues. I do not think there are any issues with Time machine on ReadyNAS system.

The post you shared seems to be resolved through a few steps provided in the last post of the thread. Also, this link provided steps on how to correctly setup the time machine.

What issues are you encountering? Make sure you recheck the steps you've done on using the ReadyNAS system for your Time Machine backups.

Kindly check this article.

How do I back up data from Mac OS X to my ReadyNAS OS 6 system using Shared Time Machine?

Regards

Message 13 of 16
loco42
Aspirant

Hello Marc,

thank you so much for your answer.  I have been trying for days now with the "private time machine" setup on my RN3138.  It would always work just until finalizing then it would fail.  I tried lots of other strategies from the net on how to set up your own sparsebundle etc.  Nothing worked.

I never thought about testing with the provided "shared time machine" option as described in the link that you posted.  And it works.  I don't know why the private one would fail.  Maybe I will try again one day but as of now I'm happy with the solution.

Thanks again & all the best

Loco

Message 14 of 16
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @loco42

It feels great hearing your feedback and letting us know that the information we provided has helped resolve your issue.
We encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

Regarding private time machine, you may want to look at this article.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 15 of 16
loco42
Aspirant

Sorry I think I cannot mark it as solved it is not my thread.  Let me know how if I can.

Thanks

Loco

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements