× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas Pro 4 - undo password recovery?

Alfnie
Aspirant

Readynas Pro 4 - undo password recovery?

Hi All,

I didn't know my password anymore, so i started 192.168.xx/password_recovery, it says "succes, mail is send" -> but no mail is send.

I read this topic: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/password-recovery-fails/m-p/1367938

I now have found my password, and i know it is the correct password. But since I had clicked password recovery, this password doesnt work anymore.

Is there any way to Undo the password_recovery and still use my old password?

Only if neccesary i am going to try an OS reinstall...

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP4410|ReadyNAS Pro 4
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Alfnie wrote:

Im not very comfortable with doing OS reinstall without having a proper back up of the data (that is what im doing right now).

It is best to have a backup, so I agree that's worth doing.

@Alfnie wrote:

I was wondering, why can you Reset the Admin password with OS reinstall?

Is it true that when the ReadyNAS gets stolen, the thief can simply OS reinstall and access your data?

Note I don't work for Netgear.  I'm thinking the feature is there because many people do lose the password - so it is a balance between security and potentially losing your data.

If the NAS is stolen, then it is true that the thief can do the OS reinstall.  A thief can also access the data without the admin data in several other ways:

• Just boot the NAS and attempt to access the shares over the network
  • Recover the data from nearby (perhaps connected) USB backup disks
  • boot the NAS in tech support mode and manually mount the data volume
  • Remove the disks and either mount the data volume in a linux PC or use RAID recovery software

@Alfnie wrote:

If yes, how can one prevent having others access to the data? What kind of security is required?

You can attempt to physically lock it down somehow.  

OS 6 systems support disk encryption, though the encryption key needs to be stored on a USB key.  But if that is stolen with the NAS, then of course the data can still be accessed (and if it is secured separately from the NAS, it needs to be put back into the NAS every time you boot it).  Your Pro can can be converted to OS-6 if you want - Netgear doesn't support that, but many users have done it.

Another approach is to store particularly sensitive data in an encrypted container.  For instance, an encrypted ZIP file or an encrypted iSCSI LUN.  Since the decryption is done in the client devices, the containers (including backups) are secure no matter what happens to the NAS.  Of course you'd want to use good practices on the encryption keys (strong password, etc).

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Do the OS reinstall - that will set the password back to the factory default and won't affect your data.  The NAS network configuration will be set back to DHCP also.  On OS 4.2.x systems, the default password is netgear1.

Message 2 of 9
Alfnie
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.

Im not very comfortable with doing OS reinstall without having a proper back up of the data (that is what im doing right now).

Is it true that when the ReadyNAS gets stolen, the thief can simply OS reinstall and access your data?

If yes, how can one prevent having others access to the data? What kind of security is required?

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Alfnie wrote:

It is best to have a backup, so I agree that's worth doing.

@Alfnie wrote:

Note I don't work for Netgear.  I'm thinking the feature is there because many people do lose the password - so it is a balance between security and potentially losing your data.

If the NAS is stolen, then it is true that the thief can do the OS reinstall.  A thief can also access the data without the admin data in several other ways:

• Just boot the NAS and attempt to access the shares over the network
  • Recover the data from nearby (perhaps connected) USB backup disks
  • boot the NAS in tech support mode and manually mount the data volume
  • Remove the disks and either mount the data volume in a linux PC or use RAID recovery software

@Alfnie wrote:

You can attempt to physically lock it down somehow.  

OS 6 systems support disk encryption, though the encryption key needs to be stored on a USB key.  But if that is stolen with the NAS, then of course the data can still be accessed (and if it is secured separately from the NAS, it needs to be put back into the NAS every time you boot it).  Your Pro can can be converted to OS-6 if you want - Netgear doesn't support that, but many users have done it.

Another approach is to store particularly sensitive data in an encrypted container.  For instance, an encrypted ZIP file or an encrypted iSCSI LUN.  Since the decryption is done in the client devices, the containers (including backups) are secure no matter what happens to the NAS.  Of course you'd want to use good practices on the encryption keys (strong password, etc).

Message 4 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

I use a VeraCrypt volume for sensitive data.  Note that you need to turn Strick Sync off for the share contaiing the Veracrypt volume or it will severly slow down writing to it.

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

I use a VeraCrypt volume for sensitive data.  Note that you need to turn Strick Sync off for the share contaiing the Veracrypt volume or it will severely slow down writing to it.

I want to ensure access when I'm away from home (and not internet connected), so I keep mine in an encrypted Microsoft VHD (virtual disk) on my laptop.  It's backed up to the ReadyNAS as part of the normal PC backup schedule.  The VHD isn't normally mounted, and the password isn't saved on the PC.   

But VeraCrypt supports multiple users, which is nice.  Something to look into this year Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, but BitLocker is only available on Home and Enterprise versions of Windows, whereas VeraCrypt is avalaible on all Windows versions, Macintosh, and Linux.

Yes, multiple users can access a Veracrypt volume as long as all users mount it in read-only mode.

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Yes, multiple users can access a Veracrypt volume as long as all users mount it in read-only mode.

Good to know.  That might also be true with the vhd, I've never tried it.

Getting back to security - using an encrypted container (whatever flavor) protects the data from someone who gets physical access to the NAS (or its disks).  It also protects the data from access over the network when the decryption is done in the client PC.  Of course the protection depends on the password strength, and you do need to pay attention to announcements about vulnerabilities. 

However, this approach won't help you if someone can compromise the PC that is accessing the container.  For instance, if a hacker puts a keylogger on the PC, the hacker can see how you access the container (including the password). And the hacker could directly access the data when the encrypted volume is mounted on the client PC.

Message 8 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

I started to say BitLocker is not available on the home version and decided to say it is available only on Pro and Enterprise and ended up mis-stating that it's on Home and Enterprise.

It's on Pro and Enterprise, and not available (even as an add-on) on Windows Home Edition.  And, of course, not available on Mac or Linux.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements