× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas Pro 6 EEPROM issue

Rick_D457
Initiate

Readynas Pro 6 EEPROM issue

Hello

I have upgraded my Pro 6 (RNDP600E) to OS6 without any issues, it was stable and worked fine. Hoping to upgrade RAM, I bought old DRAM chips on Ebay, the exact model that was confirmed to work, in one of the forums.

After plugging in the new RAM, the system stopped booting, stuck with the "ReadyNAS" green message. I plugged in the old RAM chip, but it made no difference. Out of options, I did the USB Boot Recovery (for OS 4) and apparently messed up the EEPROM.

At the moment, the system looks like it boots, but the Model section in RAIDar is garbled and when I connect via a browser, I only get a part of the homepage, mostly the edges (currently the "RAIDiator-x86-4.2.31-downgrade" unofficial image installed - I hoped the downgrade would make a difference).

Is there any way to make the EEPROM work again?

I would be very grateful for any help, after reinstalling different OSes several times I am out of ideas how to make it work. I hope there is a way to recover it.

Thank you!   -Richard

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Readynas Pro 6 EEPROM issue

@Rick_D457

Thanks for your patience. It should have booted with the correct VPD now please confirm it to me 🙂

We needed to encode the correct VPD that is why I asked for it to be on SDM

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
tony359
Apprentice

I'm not a super expert on the issue but I have the same unit.

Did you try doing a factory reset or chosing a "reinstall OS" on the boot options - assuming it gets to that stage?

https://kb.netgear.com/21107/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-Ultra-6-Ultra-6-Plus-Pro-6...

You can try Reinstall OS first (if you have data that you want to keep) and then factory reset (that will wipe your data). Disclaimer: you may end up losing data anyway.

I upgraded the RAM and CPU years ago and don't remember having issues but at that time I was using a single HDD for testing and did not have any problems if a reset was needed.

The corrupted model number rings a bell though. Keep us posted.

Message 2 of 4
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Rick_D457

Thanks for your patience. It should have booted with the correct VPD now please confirm it to me 🙂

We needed to encode the correct VPD that is why I asked for it to be on SDM

Regards

Message 3 of 4
Rick_D457
Initiate

Marc_V, thank you very much for your help. It works as new. Living happily ever after. Thank you.

Model: RNDP600E (ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition)|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition|EOL
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements