× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas Pro Pioneer PSU

nyCecilia
Aspirant

Readynas Pro Pioneer PSU

Honestly, I can't believe it was even still running...but ridiculous me hasn't backed up since the start of the pandemic, when I was first having issues.  Teacher, I just got really busy and ran out of time.

Yesterday I came home to noise, and I noticed too much dust.  So I shut it down (mistake) and cleaned it out.  Tried to turn it back on, but power is dead.  It doesn't even do the "vroom" sound it used to do from just being plugged in.  Searched here and read that dead power supply is typical, especially at this age, so I got one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/333113904512  I really hope this will fit, threads here said to go for 400W but I haven't seen any, only 300 and 350W.

Questions: Am I going to lose all my data doing this procedure?  What is the best way to make sure I don't lose the data?  (Yeah, I should have backed up.  Too late.  What's the 2nd best way?)

What complications should I look out for?

Would it be better to bring this to a shop and have them do it?  Or okay to follow the instructions here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/ReadyNAS-Pro-6-Power-Supply-FAN-replacem...

Any other advice?  Thanks!

Cecilia 🙂

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Readynas Pro Pioneer PSU

Yes, that supply and those instructions apply to your NAS.  Note that the replacement supply most likely will not have the raised fan (they say you'll get "whichever is available", but no company I know of still makes one with the raised supply), but that's fine.

I generally recommend a higher wattage just to insure the 12V rail has sufficient power.  But the folks selling them as direct ReadyNAS replacements instead of just standard SFX format ones should have already verified that one has all the right power capabilities.  The original is just 300W, but has higher 12V capability than is typical for a 300W one.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, that supply and those instructions apply to your NAS.  Note that the replacement supply most likely will not have the raised fan (they say you'll get "whichever is available", but no company I know of still makes one with the raised supply), but that's fine.

I generally recommend a higher wattage just to insure the 12V rail has sufficient power.  But the folks selling them as direct ReadyNAS replacements instead of just standard SFX format ones should have already verified that one has all the right power capabilities.  The original is just 300W, but has higher 12V capability than is typical for a 300W one.

Message 2 of 3
nyCecilia
Aspirant

Awesome!  Thank you so much.  Fingers crossed I don't electrocute myself 😄

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements