× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas Pro heat issues

ultrabike
Aspirant

Readynas Pro heat issues

Hopefully this is the right place to post this. I've had my Readynas Pro for about 7 years. Recently the power supply fan started to make funny noises and temperature was kind of high. Scheduled power down/ups failed so I always had the unit on. I cleaned up the unit and tried to replace the power supply fan only but the replacement fan was too slow and eventually just stopped.

So I got a new power supply from Seasonic (SS-300SFD) + extension cables. I made some modifications to the cabling since they were too long and this worked out fine regarding the fan and now the scheduled power down/ups are working properly. However, the unit still gets pretty hot.

I tried to replace the 120mm SYS fan with a Noctua NF-S12A FLX to see if heat issues would improve. This did not work. The NAS got really hot and hard drives started to shut down and got all kinds of messages from the NAS about heat issues, so I replaced the original 120mm fan back.

I'm waiting for some crimps to improve the cabling and perhaps improve air flow. If I open the unit, the heat problem goes away. It seems the heat problem comes from the heat sink on the memory controller just below the CPU. I also noticed that my NAS uses the E2160.

Would updating the CPU for an E5300 or any other compatible CPU reduce heat build up? Should I cut some holes on the side and add another fan?

These are currently my NAS readings with the stock 120mm fan:

Device Description Status
Disk 1 WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 1863 GB , 36 C / 96 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 2 WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 1863 GB , 35 C / 95 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 3 WDC WD20EFRX-68AX9N0 1863 GB , 32 C / 89 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 4 WDC WD20EFRX-68AX9N0 1863 GB , 34 C / 93 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 5 WDC WD20EZRX-19D8PB0 1863 GB , 34 C / 93 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 6 WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 1863 GB , 33 C / 91 F , Write-cache ON OK
Fan SYS 1854 RPM OK
Fan CPU 1534 RPM OK
Temp SYS 58 C / 136 F [Normal 0-65 C / 32-149 F] OK
Temp CPU 37 C / 98 F [Normal 0-60 C / 32-140 F] OK
UPS 1 APC Back-UPS ES 550, Battery charge: 100%, 19 minutes OK

I'm still on 4.2.27. Thanks.
Message 1 of 48
StephenB
Guru

I'm not seeing anything unusual about these temps, why are you concerned?
Message 2 of 48
ultrabike
Aspirant

Mainly concerned because I was more used to see the Fan SYS at around 700 to 800 RPM, and seeing drives south of 36 degrees. It may have been that the Seagates I had there before (and which died in ~3 years) where cooler. However, what got me concerned is that to reduce noise I tried the Noctua 120mm fan which seemed recommended around here and things got pretty bad with it.

Any recommends to keep things a little cooler and running smoother would be greatly appreciated 😄
Message 3 of 48
tony359
Apprentice

My 4TB WD (I guess yours have just half of the platters) are 36 degrees right now, and the SYS fan is 800rpm as you would expect. The fan will increase over 42 I reckon - my previous seagate's were constantly going over 42, triggering a high speed fan cycle to cool them down. The WD would never rise more than 36 (maybe 38 under load) so the fan never runs faster than 800. I have 18 degrees in my home right now though.
Your SYS temp seems a little high, mine is 49 at the time being. CPU is also cooler, mine is 21. The unit is idle of course.

Did you try to recalibrate the fan speed? What is your ambient temperature?
Message 4 of 48
ultrabike
Aspirant

Yup. Recalibrated plenty of times. I'm almost sure it's not the drives or the CPU but the memory/raid(?) controller. The heatsink of those gets pretty hot.

That's what I was thinking if maybe changing the CPU would ease things for those two or something.

It could be something else... Any ideas? 😞

BTW, just removed the side cover (around the motherboard), and in 2 minutes things are looking like this:

Disk 1 WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 1863 GB , 34 C / 93 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 2 WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 1863 GB , 33 C / 91 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 3 WDC WD20EFRX-68AX9N0 1863 GB , 31 C / 87 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 4 WDC WD20EFRX-68AX9N0 1863 GB , 32 C / 89 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 5 WDC WD20EZRX-19D8PB0 1863 GB , 32 C / 89 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 6 WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 1863 GB , 31 C / 87 F , Write-cache ON OK
Fan SYS 1068 RPM OK
Fan CPU 1548 RPM OK
Temp CPU 35.5 C / 95 F [Normal 0-60 C / 32-140 F] OK

... and from what I remember, will continue to drop.
Message 5 of 48
StephenB
Guru

OK, so its the fan speed.

The pro uses software RAID.

I've never really looked at the system board. Is it practical to replace the heatsink/reapply thermal paste?
Message 6 of 48
ultrabike
Aspirant

Could try and do that. Will report back 🙂

BTW, the problem I had in the past about the NAS and the power timer "power itself on and off automatically on a schedule" not working, went away with the power supply replacement.
Message 7 of 48
tony359
Apprentice

Forgot to mention that I replaced my CPU some time ago and applied new paste.

Your CPU and SYS temp did not change, and - at least on my Pro - the fan speed does not change if the HDD's are not beyond 42 degrees. Does your fan spin down immediately after you remove the cover? I do not understand how removing the top panel can improve airflow. It will improve the airflow around the heathsink you mentioned but not around HDD and I do not understand how the HDD's can get cooler with the top removed.

Are you 100% sure everything in your RN is dust free, including holes on the back of the HDDs and the mesh in front of the unit? Can you feel a very low airflow coming out of the unit when the top is mounted? Sorry for asking what are probably silly questions! 🙂

Changing the thermal past may help but what I am thinking is that if the paste wasn't working you wouldn't have a very hot heathsink. You would have a very high temperature reported somewhere and the heathsink wouldn't be so hot. I'll see if I can check on mine, it's high time for a clean anyway! 🙂
Message 8 of 48
ultrabike
Aspirant

As far as heat, it seems the motherboard rests on the side close to where HDD 1 and 4 are. The hottest one is HDD 1, and the Pro has a heatsink right on below the CPU and adjacent to HDD1 I think.

Things did not immediately spin down, but with the cover off these are my numbers now:

Disk 1 WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 1863 GB , 28 C / 82 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 2 WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 1863 GB , 27 C / 80 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 3 WDC WD20EFRX-68AX9N0 1863 GB , 27 C / 80 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 4 WDC WD20EFRX-68AX9N0 1863 GB , 28 C / 82 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 5 WDC WD20EZRX-19D8PB0 1863 GB , 28 C / 82 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 6 WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 1863 GB , 26 C / 78 F , Write-cache ON OK
Fan SYS 969 RPM OK
Fan CPU 1548 RPM OK
Temp CPU 33 C / 91 F [Normal 0-60 C / 32-140 F] OK

As far as dust, I removed dust all over and can fell airflow coming out of the unit.

What CPU do you have currently?
Message 9 of 48
tony359
Apprentice

I've opened mine, it needed a clean!

Right, the way it is assembled, the big fan on the back will not extract any air through the HDD's if you remove the side cover, all the airflow will come from the removed side panel. I am really puzzled why you have lower HDD's temperatures when you remove the side panel.

I touched the heathsink just after powering down. It's warm but not hot. The MB uses the chassis as heathsink if memory serves (not hugely sure) but still the airflow from the main fan should be enough not to cause any trouble.

I ask that again: are you sure your metal 'mesh' on the front is clean and the holes on the back of the HDD's are unobstructed? That wouldn't explain how your temperatures drop when the panel is off. With the panel off you're basically stopping any airflow through the HDDs.

Silly question: is the big fan mounted the correct way, i.e. does it blow air out of the unit? Use a piece of paper to check, sometimes it's hard to say and that fan is a low airflow one. Same with the PSU fan, does it blow or suck air? If the PSU blows air INSIDE the unit, that may explain a bit.
Message 10 of 48
ultrabike
Aspirant

LOL! I opened mine. Had to since it needed a power supply change.

Yes, it was pretty dirty. But now it's relatively clean. I just gave it another pass and this time I upgraded the BIOS to the latest (for 4.2.27). We'll see what it does. Might be able to upgrade the CPU with a used E7600 too.

As far as fans. Yes, the only one that pushes air out is the 120mm big fan. The CPU and PSU fans push air towards the CPU and towards the insight of the supply. The mesh is unobstructed and can feel the air being pulled through it.

Right away the temperatures raised:

Disk 1 WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 1863 GB , 32 C / 89 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 2 WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 1863 GB , 29 C / 84 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 3 WDC WD20EFRX-68AX9N0 1863 GB , 28 C / 82 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 4 WDC WD20EFRX-68AX9N0 1863 GB , 30 C / 86 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 5 WDC WD20EZRX-19D8PB0 1863 GB , 29 C / 84 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 6 WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 1863 GB , 28 C / 82 F , Write-cache ON OK
Fan SYS 1577 RPM OK
Fan CPU 1520 RPM OK
Temp SYS 61 C / 141 F [Normal 0-65 C / 32-149 F] OK
Temp CPU 36 C / 96 F [Normal 0-60 C / 32-140 F] OK

It may also be thermal paste somehow. I did remove the CPU fan at some point to clean it up. Will check if adding more of that helps.
Message 11 of 48
tony359
Apprentice

Ok, I can confirm the PSU fan is sucking air in.

Forgot to answer: my cpu is a E6600, it was suggested by someone on a thread here. Cannot remember how I ended up with this. I believe it is the 'low power' version, to reduce heath. I still doubt that the CPU or anything on the motherboard can cause your HDDs to overheat. They are in a separate compartment and there is air flowing in the HDD section. The CPU should glow red to affect the HDDs!

Now, I only have two HDD's, maybe that is making a little difference. That said, your current temperatures don't seem bad.

Currently my HDDs are running at 35°C, SYS 47°C and CPU 23.5°C. Sys fan 897rpm (how do you format the status information so nicely?). Interesting, my CPU is cooler than yours but my fan is spinning faster.

You may be able to reduce the CPU temperature by replacing the CPU and by replacing the thermal paste. And your ambient temperature may be higher than mine maybe?

That said, I do not see a problem here.
Message 12 of 48
ultrabike
Aspirant

LOL! For the format I just do copy/past from Front View. I still have 4.2.27 which I don't mind as long as it works smoothly.

I purchased a used E5300 for like $4 ($8 with shipping), and will try putting some more thermal paste.

I also don't see a huge problem. Except I can't use a quite Noctua 120mm fan or else the NAS gets really hot and drives start to shut down. Based on the specs of the Noctua, it can't really go past 1200 RPM and even with the advertized superior air flow it did not cut it for my situation, which is surpricing given what I've read around. That's what got me started in looking around for possible issues.
Message 13 of 48
tony359
Apprentice

You do not need MORE paste! Too much paste is actually counterproductive, it will act as an insulator. Buy some arctic pro paste and apply a very very thin layer of paste using a business card or a plastic card. More paste is not needed.

Ok, you have 6 HDDs but I am still puzzled. I cannot imagine the Western Digital's shutting down even though you had no airflow at all. It simply does not make sense - even though I do not own your drives, I believe the technology is the same and my HDD, mine simply have twice as many platters as yours. To overheat it must mean that there is NO airflow whatsoever in your box, I do not understand.
Did you check the airflow of the current fan and the Noctua's? I'll try putting a piece of paper in front of the box! 🙂

You've never mentioned what's your ambient temperature.

4.2.27 is the latest version for your Pro.

If I copy and paste it just show a mess of numbers, that's why I asked!
Message 14 of 48
StephenB
Guru

tony359 wrote:
...I cannot imagine the Western Digital's shutting down even though you had no airflow at all.
Where is this coming from? I see nothing in this thread suggesting any issue with the hard drives.
Message 15 of 48
itsjasper
Luminary

tony359 wrote:
You do not need MORE paste! Too much paste is actually counterproductive, it will act as an insulator. Buy some arctic pro paste and apply a very very thin layer of paste using a business card or a plastic card. More paste is not needed.

Here's how I was taught to apply paste (I am assuming the CPU is not fitted, for ease of handling):

1) put a dot of paste on both cpu and heatsink underside.
    2) wrap a finger in plastic food wrap / use throwaway plastic glove / plastic ziplock bag - anything to avoid getting paste on your finger
    3) using your wrapped finger, with a circular 'polishing' motion, rub the paste evenly over the surface area of CPU and heatsink contact surface. Don't worry too much about getting all the edges covered, unless you are a little OCD - in which case go right ahead. 🙂

This tiny amount basically acts as filler to smooth out the imperfections in the contact surface - if you are doing it right, it will seem like there is no visible filler on the surface; the surface will appear dull, and you should be able to read the CPU information etched on the surface more clearly.

4) Add a blob of no more than 2mm of paste in the centre of the CPU. That's about half the length of a medium grain of rice, or about the same space as the lower part of the letter 'B' on your keyboard.
    5) install CPU, then fit cooler (taking care not to over-tighten).

Fitting the CPU cooler will spread the blob of paste out to a suitable size to cover the CPU core.

I have never had a problem with over 100 CPU & heatsink installs using this method.
Message 16 of 48
tony359
Apprentice

That sounds as a good method, as you see the point is you have to put a very tiny amount of paste. Thanks, this method is probably better than the one I suggested.

Stephen,
That's what ultrabike said : the HDDs shut down if he replaces the fan.
Message 17 of 48
StephenB
Guru

tony359 wrote:
That's what ultrabike said : the HDDs shut down if he replaces the fan.
Found it now, buried in the first post.
Message 18 of 48
ultrabike
Aspirant

Yup. When I installed the Noctua fan Disk 1 shut down and started getting e-mail notifications that SYS temperature was above normal a few minutes after installation.

Shut down the NAS, put back the old SYS fan, and things went back to where they were before.

There is definitively good air flow through the disk drives, but for some reason the heat sink below the CPU gets relatively hot. Based on what've seen, w/o the 120mm fan things wouldn't work.

The fans are definitively pulling in (CPU & Power) and pushing out (SYS) air. If anything the CPU fan seems a bit slow relative to the reading (1500 - 1700 RPM). So maybe it's the CPU fan. Could also be that somehow the new power supply cable extender is interferring with air flow. That's why I'm waiting for my crimp tool to remove the extender connector and crimp the cables. Perhaps while there is good HDD airflow, there is not enough airflow through the motherboard components. This would make sense since removing the side cover brings the temperature (and the fans) down.

I did reapply thermal paste to both the CPU and the components at the other heat sink below the CPU. Made not much difference. Waiting on the E5300 and the cable crimp. And may give this other cpu fan a shot:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VS ... VQBTNMED4K
Message 19 of 48
tony359
Apprentice

I still feel there is something wrong. I will try at the weekend, I am confident those HDD's won't overheat in MINUTES!

Have you got anything running on the NAS which is heavily using the CPU? Can you SSH into the unit and see what the CPU is doing? The CPU hot air is ending on the heat-sink you mentioned, maybe it's just the CPU running at 100% all the time? But it would be hotter than 35 degrees...

And - I am asking again! - what is your ambient temperature???

I wouldn't spend too much time with that unit, I feel there is something basic we are missing here.
When I got the NAS and I replaced CPU and RAM, to test the unit I stuck a plastic cable tie in the CPU fan. Left the CPU to run till 80 degrees. It was happening quickly, but with the fan completely stuck. I cannot believe that your unit is overheating when using the wrong SYS fan to be honest.
Message 20 of 48
ultrabike
Aspirant

I also feel something is odd. But yes, the HDD's got fairly hot in minutes (not exagerating) with the Noctua fan.

As far as I know nothing heavy should be running. I can SSH and do a top to see what's gong on.

As far as my ambient temperature, I'm in Irvine CA which is not too bad.

The unit is not dying if the SYS fan is the stock fan, though temperature is a bit higher than what I would expect, and the fan is running somewhat fast. However, with the Noctua SYS fan, things go down in flames. I already ordered a second CPU fan to see if things improve (note I have so far replaced or attempted to replace every fan except the CPU fan, which might be running too slow).
Message 21 of 48
tony359
Apprentice

As far as my ambient temperature, I'm in Irvine CA which is not too bad.

Is that a state secret? I refuse to go on if you don't tell us your ambient temperature!! 😄
Message 22 of 48
ultrabike
Aspirant

Well, we are about 77 degrees right now, and about so this past week.

It's been a bit dry, but had some cloudy skies and reasonable nights. No need to turn on the AC as in the last few years. More rain than in the past few years as well. Unfortunately, the motto around here is that "brown is the new green" :?

https://www.irwd.com/liquid-news/the-go ... -use-by-25

Awesome.

Will let you guys know of my progress with this. Though it's still running hot, if anything I've learned a bit about how to maintain and clean my NAS :D.
Message 23 of 48
ultrabike
Aspirant

Just changed the cpu to a E5300. Other than having a better processor not much difference:

Disk 1 WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 1863 GB , 32 C / 89 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 2 WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 1863 GB , 31 C / 87 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 3 WDC WD20EFRX-68AX9N0 1863 GB , 29 C / 84 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 4 WDC WD20EFRX-68AX9N0 1863 GB , 31 C / 87 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 5 WDC WD20EZRX-19D8PB0 1863 GB , 31 C / 87 F , Write-cache ON OK
Disk 6 WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 1863 GB , 28 C / 82 F , Write-cache ON OK
Fan SYS 1520 RPM OK
Fan CPU 1520 RPM OK
Temp SYS 59 C / 138 F [Normal 0-65 C / 32-149 F] OK
Temp CPU 34 C / 93 F [Normal 0-60 C / 32-140 F] OK

Here is what SSH has to say about what's running on my NAS:

Last login: Wed Jun 24 19:49:31 2015 from 192.168.1.109
Last login: Wed Jun 24 19:51:57 2015 from 192.168.1.109 on pts/0
Linux READYNASPRO1 2.6.37.6.RNx86_64.2.4 #1 SMP Wed Aug 20 11:41:34 PDT 2014 x86 _64 GNU/Linux
READYNASPRO1:~# top
top - 19:53:34 up 6 min, 1 user, load average: 0.33, 0.55, 0.32
Mem: 1021064k total, 992632k used, 28432k free, 429592k buffers
Swap: 2096892k total, 0k used, 2096892k free, 144032k cached

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
3306 root 20 0 26348 3224 2664 S 1 0.3 0:02.15 leafp2p
1 root 20 0 2068 664 564 S 0 0.1 0:00.80 init
2 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 kthreadd
3 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 ksoftirqd/0
6 root RT 0 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 migration/0
7 root RT 0 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 migration/1
8 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 kworker/1:0
9 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 ksoftirqd/1
10 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.03 kworker/0:1
11 root 0 -20 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 khelper
158 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 sync_supers
160 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 bdi-default
162 root 0 -20 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 kblockd
163 root 0 -20 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 kacpid
164 root 0 -20 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 kacpi_notify
165 root 0 -20 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 kacpi_hotplug
272 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 khubd
279 root 0 -20 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 md
380 root 0 -20 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 rpciod
381 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 kworker/1:1
407 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.01 kswapd0
473 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 fsnotify_mark
475 root 0 -20 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 aio
491 root 0 -20 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 nfsiod
507 root 0 -20 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 crypto
524 root 0 -20 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 kthrotld
569 root 0 -20 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 scsi_tgtd
601 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 scsi_eh_0
604 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 scsi_eh_1
607 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 scsi_eh_2
610 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 scsi_eh_3
613 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 scsi_eh_4
616 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 scsi_eh_5
623 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.19 kworker/u:6
624 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 kworker/u:7
629 root 0 -20 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 bond0
694 root 0 -20 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 kstriped
697 root 0 -20 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 ksnapd
698 root 0 -20 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 kondemand
699 root 0 -20 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 kconservative
702 root 0 -20 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 usbhid_resumer

Doesn't seem like much is running. Will test my luck with the rewiring and the new CPU fan.
Message 24 of 48
tony359
Apprentice

Out of curiosity I stuck a cable tie in the SYS fan, stopping it completely.

The HDD's barely reached 40°C after 30 minutes. The box was idle though.

It's not hot here today, I have 19°C in my home right now. I still feel there is something very wrong with your setup 🙂

Message 25 of 48
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 47 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements