× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas Pro2 OS6 - copying config to second volume?

BlillyWill
Tutor

Readynas Pro2 OS6 - copying config to second volume?

I need to shrink my array down to use 1TB SSDs from the existing 3TB raid 1 volume of which barely 500GB is used. I went down the MDADM rabbit hole and it's a little cryptic for me, so I am thinking of other ways.

I have already backed up my data to another NAS but I absolutely need to preserve the configuration and apps installed.

Here's what I've done:

Removed one 3TB drive

One 3TB drive from original volume installed, now running raid 1 degraded on flex raid

1TB ssd installed and initialized in its own JBOD volume (which from what i read is actually raid 1 under the hood)

How can I make sure the new 1TB SSD has the OS, apps and config copied to it? Theoretically, it should propagate on the next reboot correct? Would make sense so your nas doesnt reset to factory default if one of your volumes dies.

Or do I need to I just dumbly DD from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb and also the /apps mount point?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas Pro2 OS6 - copying config to second volume?

@BlillyWill wrote:

How can I make sure the new 1TB SSD has the OS, apps and config copied to it? Theoretically, it should propagate on the next reboot correct? Would make sense so your nas doesnt reset to factory default if one of your volumes dies.

The OS partition is already on the SSD (that is RAID-1 and mirrored on all disks).  The configuration is in that partition, so it is also on the SSD.

As you know, apps are in a hidden folder on the data volume (/data/.apps) , so that is a bit tricky.

If you destroy the 3 TB volume, the system will create a new apps folder on the SSD.  But it will not copy the contents of the old one.  What you could do is copy /data/.apps to a temporary share on the SSD, then copy it back to the SSD .apps folder after you destroy the 3 TB volume.

If you use the home folder feature, you will need to do something similar - back up the home folder contents, and then restore them to the SSD.  Personally I don't think that feature is worth the trouble for home NAS users, so consider switching to using ordinary shares (with access control if needed).  @Sandshark provided more info on migrating home folders here:

For the shares, just create temporary shares with different names on the SSD volume, and copy the data over with backup jobs. Match the settings (file permissions, etc).  Then rename them to match the original names after you destroy the old volume.

@BlillyWill wrote:

Or do I need to I just dumbly DD from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb and also the /apps mount point?

I don't recommend that.  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@BlillyWill wrote:

The OS partition is already on the SSD (that is RAID-1 and mirrored on all disks).  The configuration is in that partition, so it is also on the SSD.

As you know, apps are in a hidden folder on the data volume (/data/.apps) , so that is a bit tricky.

If you destroy the 3 TB volume, the system will create a new apps folder on the SSD.  But it will not copy the contents of the old one.  What you could do is copy /data/.apps to a temporary share on the SSD, then copy it back to the SSD .apps folder after you destroy the 3 TB volume.

If you use the home folder feature, you will need to do something similar - back up the home folder contents, and then restore them to the SSD.  Personally I don't think that feature is worth the trouble for home NAS users, so consider switching to using ordinary shares (with access control if needed).  @Sandshark provided more info on migrating home folders here:

For the shares, just create temporary shares with different names on the SSD volume, and copy the data over with backup jobs. Match the settings (file permissions, etc).  Then rename them to match the original names after you destroy the old volume.

@BlillyWill wrote:

I don't recommend that.  

Message 2 of 3
BlillyWill
Tutor

I want to thank you for this message. It collected all I needed to know in one place. I have successfully moved the installation to SSDs with a minumum of hassle.

I ended up doing a slightly modified version of this, not sure if it was the smartest way but it seems to have worked.

- New volume on one SSD

- New shares on new volume, copying data from old volume

- Copied .apps folder and a bunch of systemd configs I absolutely needed (no idea if they would be transferred)

- while NAS was up i hot-unplugged the original 3tb drive and then destroyed the original volume off the 3tb drive

- Rebooted

- Copied apps from temporary folder to correct one, systemd stuff was in face copied over already as were some packages (java etc)

- Added second SSD and mirrored, and everything working!

All the copying i did was via SSH logged in as root. Easier that way. Not an expert by any means but all seems well now.

So, all working fine. Thanks again! Shame this platform is dead. I like the hardware and it would be great if they could migrate the OS to a newer debian.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements