× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas RN516 Exporting a Volume

pgjscottieuk
Guide

Readynas RN516 Exporting a Volume

Hi i would like to Export a Volume which is at the moment A backup From a Readynas 516

The export is on a Readynas RN316 and i want to Export/Migrate this backup To Another Readynas 516

When it is exported do all the settings go with it i understand that the discs need to be placed in the same order

that they were in on the old 316

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

DO NOT use the export function for what you want to do.  It's obviously  intended for exporting a single volume of a multi-volume NAS.  Export/Import does change all the file and share attributes.  I assume that's because there is no guarantee that the user and group UIDs will be the same on the new as on the old.  I'n not really sure if it's the export or the import that makes the change, since you can't tell it's changed until you do both.  But I've assumed that's the reason for "Export".

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @pgjscottieuk

Transferring from RN316 to RN516 it will carry over the disks contents and settings with it. You are right disks should be in the same order.

Migrating a volume

Regards

Message 2 of 11
pgjscottieuk
Guide

So the only thing to set after will be renaming the 516 as the old one

Will the backupjob that was on the old nas carry over to the 516

Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@pgjscottieuk wrote:

So the only thing to set after will be renaming the 516 as the old one

Will the backupjob that was on the old nas carry over to the 516

Are you migrating all the disks?  Or just one volume in flexraid setup?

Message 4 of 11
pgjscottieuk
Guide

All the discs are one volumeScreenshot 2019-01-15 at 16.12.55.png

Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

The OS and all the settings are on the disks.  So after you migrate the disks to the new NAS, all settings (backup jobs, users, NAS name, .... ) are preserved.

Message 6 of 11
pgjscottieuk
Guide

So can i simply just move the discs over in order or do i have to Export the volume first as per the instruction 

To Export A Volume

Message 7 of 11
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You just need to move the disks and since they have the same architecture then it will boot normally.

btw, it is advisable for your RN516 to be on the same firmware or on the latest version. So you may want to use a spare disk first to set up the NAS and update it then migrate the disks after.

Regards

Message 8 of 11
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Thank you it is already running 6.9.4 Hotfix 1

Message 9 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

DO NOT use the export function for what you want to do.  It's obviously  intended for exporting a single volume of a multi-volume NAS.  Export/Import does change all the file and share attributes.  I assume that's because there is no guarantee that the user and group UIDs will be the same on the new as on the old.  I'n not really sure if it's the export or the import that makes the change, since you can't tell it's changed until you do both.  But I've assumed that's the reason for "Export".

Message 10 of 11
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Thank you  for the loud and clear instrucion i had printed of both the Exporting A Volume And The Migrating A Volume I think The Netgear Atricles could make this clearer as it results in People like myself comimg to the forum which ultimately helps others if they read the posts but takes time when working across time zones

But thank you for all the input from everyone Steve has helped a lot in the past thanks again

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements