× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas Replicate Error/wrong name registered in replicate portal

PredatorVI
Tutor

Readynas Replicate Error/wrong name registered in replicate portal

I have a new-ish ReadyNAS 516 I received under warranty after a failed powersupply in my old PRO 6.  I have a 2nd Pro 6 I'm trying to use as a backup for the 516.  

I've enabled ReadyCloud and Replicate and have created one job to backup a folder but the job fails with "connect error code -51" (full error below).  The name of each NAS device is "ReadyNASPRO" and "ReadyNAS516".  However, when I registered the 516, the name it shows up as in the web console is "nas-F6-44-A0".  The Pro shows up fine.  I've tried unregistering, rebooting and reregistering it, but the name is still the original generic name.  I assume this is why it fails to connect.  Both devices are on the same LAN.  Any thoughts?

[2017-08-17 23:51:45] [Info] Replicate version: 1.3.0 build R2
[2017-08-17 23:51:45] [Info] Starting backup job "Memories-Backup"
[2017-08-17 23:51:45] [Info] Create target folder: /data/Backups/Memories-Backup
[2017-08-17 23:51:45] [Info] Locking target folder: /data/Backups/Memories-Backup
[2017-08-17 23:51:46] [Info] Making full backup
[2017-08-17 23:51:46] [Info] p2p connect to nas-F6-44-A0 in 14881133 network
[2017-08-17 23:52:07] [Info] p2p connect to nas-F6-44-A0 in 14881133 network
[2017-08-17 23:52:19] [Error] Unable to connect to nas-F6-44-A0
[2017-08-17 23:52:19] [Error] Connect error code: -51
[2017-08-17 23:52:19] [Error] Please check source device is online and Replicate service is running
[2017-08-17 23:52:19] [Info] Rotate backups (5)
[2017-08-17 23:52:19] [Info] Unlock target folder: /data/Backups/Memories-Backup
[2017-08-17 23:52:19] [Info] Job finished

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only,RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 24
PredatorVI
Tutor

Re: Readynas Replicate Error/wrong name registered in replicate portal

I forgot to mention that both units are running ReadyOS 6.8.0.

Message 2 of 24
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello PredatorVI,

It does appear that you are having trouble with Readynas Replicate and getting error 51. The error refers to communications problem on both NAS.

Errors codes in Replicate portal logs. 50, 51, 122, 300, 501

• Check the Internet connectivity and service connectivity on both sides.
  • ReadyNAS OS 6. ReadyNAS Remote should be enabled on both sides.
  • For restrictive firewalls and more complex networks, consider setting up port forwarding.
  • Remove Replicate user binding and re-add the NASes to the Replicate account.  Then, recreate the backups.  Use the “resume from…” option to avoid having to send all of the data again.

For Replicate troubleshooting please go to the here.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 24
PredatorVI
Tutor

Both running v6.8.0 of firmware, recently downloaded from the internet automatically so I don't think there is an internet problem.

They are both on the same 192.168.0.0/24 subnet at my house.

The 'source' device named "ReadyNAS516" shows "Service Unavailable try again later" in the "Cloud" tab.  There are no additional messages in the log indicating the problem.  

I've removed the NAS from the ReadyNAS Replicate portal (https://replicate.readynas.com/client/index.html ), "Unregistered" ReadyNAS Replicate on the NAS (Cloud Tab) and reregistered it.  It shows up in the portal (with wrong name) again and now I'm back to the state when I first asked this question.  

How can I diagnose this?

Message 4 of 24
PredatorVI
Tutor

Here are screenshots of what I'm seeing.  The ReadyNAS516 screenshot shows the Internet working but the service unavailable.  From the same network, the ReadyNASPRO has both available.  What do I look for to diagnose further?

ReadyNAS516: ReadyNAS516CloudConfig.PNG

ReadyNASPRO:
ReadyNASPROCloudConfig.PNG

ReadyNAS Replicate Portal:

ReadyNASReplicatePortal.PNG

Message 5 of 24
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello PredatorVI,

If you notice on the RN516 the "Service" has res x mark compared to the ReadyNAS Pro which has 2 green check marks. This means cloud service on the RN516 is not available, please check the network connection of RN516. You may try to set a static DNS (8.8.8.8) on the RN516 and check if that will address the concern.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 24
PredatorVI
Tutor

Thanks.  As mentioned both NAS devices are on the same network.  Both use the same settings for DNS/NetMask/etc.  I did change the DNS host to 8.8.8.8 as suggested with no change.  It still shows "Service Unavailable".  Both are logged into the same ReadyCLoud account.  Both are logged into the same ReadyNAS Replicate account (they are different accounts from what I can tell).  

Any other suggestions?

Message 7 of 24
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello PredatorVI,

For the cloud service of the NAS to work, the "Service" should have a green check mark. Both NAS are they connected to a same switch or router?  

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 24
PredatorVI
Tutor

Yes, both are connected to the same switch (Dell PowerConnect 2748

Message 9 of 24
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello PredatorVI,

Could please try to download the complete logs of the RN516 and provide us a copy of the logs you may use any file sharing website and just PM me the download link. Please check if other cloud service on the NAS is working like ReadyCloud, Remote etc. Also under System>Settings please check if you can toggle on and off any service under it?

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 24
PredatorVI
Tutor

PM sent.  ReadyCloud is connected it seems since I can browse the files on both NAS devices from the ReadyCLoud web site an the mobile app on my Galaxy S8.

I don't know how to enable ReadyNAS Remote.  There is no Remote option in the cloud tab.  I thought I saw somewhere it is deprecated/discontinued.  Is there a plugin for the NAS that I'm mnissing?  I've installed the windows client and the client can log in and I can log into the web portal, but no devices show up.

Message 11 of 24
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello PredatorVI,

It does appear that the Remote is no longer available and discontinued on the latest firmware.  As for the logs I am seeing a lot of leaf P2P and readycloud logs, we can try to perform as OS re-install on the RN516 this will reset the network setting of the NAS and let us see if that will make any difference. For a guide on how to perform an OS re-install or access the boot menu of the NAS please go here.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 24
PredatorVI
Tutor

I'll see if I can find time to reinstall the firmware.  The thing is practically brand new. 

Message 13 of 24
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello PredatorVI,

After performing OS reinstall please observe the NAS and check if it did made difference, please keep us posted. 

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 14 of 24
PredatorVI
Tutor

Okay, I reinstalled the 6.8.0 Firmware, unregistered "ReadyNAS Replicate", reconfigured ReadyNAS Replicate and I'm back to where we were before.  The name of the NAS in the ReadyNAS replicate portal does not show "ReadyNAS516", but instead shows "nas-F6-44-A0".  There is still a "Services Unavailable" message in the Cloud tab.

I can send additional logs if needed, but I sure wish the errors were more clear.

Message 15 of 24
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello PredatorVI,

It does appear that the upgrading the firmware did not made any difference. May we ask a copy of the complete logs of the NAS and just PM me the download link.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 16 of 24
PredatorVI
Tutor

I sent updated logs via PM.  Thanks!

Message 17 of 24
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello PredatorVI,

Is the NAS integrated to a domain/AD? Can you try to remove the NAS from the domain/AD and check if it can connect to the replicate server or address the red x mark under Cloud tab services. Also once a NAS try to connect to replicate server it will generate a virtual adapter (leaf P2P adapter) please check what ip address the virtual adapter is getting.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 18 of 24
PredatorVI
Tutor

It is not (nor ever has been) part of a domain.  

Should the virtual P2P adapter show up in the network tab?  If so it only shows the two physical adapters.  If not, where do I go to see the P2P adapter settings?  I did see a lot of P2P errors in the logs, but I didn't think anything of them because I didn't think I was using P2P.

Message 19 of 24
PredatorVI
Tutor

So I enabled SSH and ran the 'ifconfig' command on both NAS devices.  On the one that works, there is a LeafNets adapter shown.  On the 516, there is no LeafNets adapter listed.  

Message 20 of 24
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello PredatorVI,

Sorry for the confusion the leaf P2P virtual adapter only works on the desktop app/clients. The NAS is directly connecting to the replicate server. The red X mark under the services is I believe we need to focus to. Let us go back a little bit, both NAS are on the same local network and you are using replicate to create a backup. Replicate is designed to work over the internet the backup will take time to finish, if you are trying to create a backup you can use local backup option like rsync. As for the RN516 have you tried connecting it to directly to the router or different or totally to a different network for isolation and check if we can get a green check on the service.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 21 of 24
PredatorVI
Tutor

I do/did realize that ReadyNAS Replicate backs up over the internet.  

The goal is to eventually find the best way to backup my critical data off-site (still trying to figure out where I could put it) as well as access the content remotely.  I was also simply trying to learn and experiment with Cloud and Replicate but I can't seem to do that on the RN516.  

Regardless, I struggle to understand why one works when connected to the same switch and the other doesn't.  

I'll try connecting it to the router directly.

Message 22 of 24
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello PredatorVI,

Connecting the NAS directly to the router, connecting to a different rswitch or to a totally different network would help isolate the problem. Please keep us posted.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 23 of 24
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello PredatorVI,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,
Marty_M
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements