× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas Ultra 2 - Raid is Dead

iamtheevster
Aspirant

Readynas Ultra 2 - Raid is Dead

I have a Readynas Ultra 2 that's just over three years old. It's got two 3TB WD Red drives in it that are less than 6 months old (recently upgraded the drives).

When I couldn't access the shares or Plex on it today, I went to Frontview and under Volumes > Volume Settings I see: 

Configuration: RAID Level X-RAID2, 2 disks

The "Volume" dot at the bottom of the screen is flashing yellow, and says the same thing when I hover over it.

When I do a reboot and run RAIDar, at first it shows two green dots underneath the disks icon, but then it eventually changes to "Not present".

I tried removing the disks one at a time and booting with just one in, and I got the same results.

I have my data backed up (Crashplan), so this isn't a total loss. However, I'm trying to understand what's really broken here. Are my disks bad? Both of them? Is this the unit itself? How do I test and determine this?

Thanks, 

Evan

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas Ultra 2 - Raid is Dead

Message 2 of 12

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Likely this is your problem:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Backing-up-to-your-ReadyNAS/Crashplan-JRE-update-needed/m-p/985781#...

Do you still have ssh access to the NAS?

Message 2 of 12
iamtheevster
Aspirant

Looks like no... 

When I try to connect to SSH, I just get a Connection Refused message from Putty. I'd previously changed the SSH port, and I've tried connecting on the changed port or on port 22, just in case defaults kicked back in. 

That said, I hadn't enabled ssh access via an add on, but by editing the sshd_config files. Is that still relevant given that it can't even mount the drives?

I can get access to Frontview. I tried adding this plugin: http://www.readynas.com/?p=4203, but I get a message saying that the file isn't appropriate for my architecture, even though I grabbed the x86 version.

I'm currently running firmware 4.2.26. Would updating to the latest perhaps kick things into a reset mode to be able to get SSH access back?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can't update the firmware when the OS partition is full.

The very next thing done needs to be freeing up space on the OS partition. Trying to fix the problem other ways will only succeed in adding to the problems.

Message 4 of 12
iamtheevster
Aspirant

Okay. Any recommendations on what I can try/next steps to take?
Message 5 of 12
iamtheevster
Aspirant

I reread the original linked posted on the problem with Crashplan and JRE version, so I'm starting there. I'm able to put the Readynas into tech support mode so that I can telnet into it, but I can't login. The default admin login/password isn't working, nor is the password for the admin account that I have set. Neither is the account I usually use to login via SSH (and that has sudo authority). 

I've done some googling, but I've only come across other posts that say to google for the password, none that actually contain the password (except for the manual which has the default admin username/password that aren't working). 

Is there a different telnet password? Where would I find it?

Thanks,

Evan

Message 6 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There is discussion in the thread StephenB linked to on how to resolve it.

Message 7 of 12
iamtheevster
Aspirant

Thanks. I saw the link after I posted my last comment and started going down that road. I'm able to put the Readynas into tech support mode so that I can telnet into it, but I can't login. The default admin login/password isn't working, nor is the password for the admin account that I have set. Neither is the account I usually use to login via SSH (and that has sudo authority). 

I've done some googling, but I've only come across other posts that say to google for the password, none that actually contain the password (except for the manual which has the default admin username/password that aren't working). 

Is there a different telnet password? Where would I find it?

Thanks!

Message 8 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I did some quick google searches and it was in the top 5 results.

We don't encourage users to use this mode.

Note that if you do find the credentials and use them there are the same support implications as for using root SSH.

Message 9 of 12
iamtheevster
Aspirant

I've been able to get in via telnet and delete the Crashplan temporary files. I was then able to reboot and the Readynas is back up and running. I was able to re-enable the CIFS service and access my shares, other services (like Plex) are back up and running too. So, all good there. 

[Edit: I do have SSH working]

I'm trying to follow the instructions to update Java, but it references placing files in the "backup" share. I don't have a backup share. Should I just create one via Frontview?

Thanks!

Message 10 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@iamtheevster wrote:

I'm trying to follow the instructions to update Java, but it references placing files in the "backup" share. I don't have a backup share. Should I just create one via Frontview?

Thanks!

That would work.  Linux is of course case-sensitive, so keep the name lower case.  (I was able to use the add-on to update java, and my share is named "backup"). 

Message 11 of 12
iamtheevster
Aspirant

I'm up and running again with Crashplan updated successfully. Thanks for the help everyone!

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements