× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas Ultra 4 not booting

Harm22
Aspirant

Readynas Ultra 4 not booting

Hello,

I upgraded the firmware of my Readynas Ultra 4 to 4.2.28 today. Unfortunately it seems something went wrong. The unit is now constantly stuck on the 'booting...' screen. I searched the forum and already tried the following:

- re-install firmware from the bootmenu

- memory check

- boot the device with 1 disk

I think the problem will be resolved with reflashing with an USB stick. Unfortunately the link to the 'unofficial' guide seems dead: http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=166 gives me the error 'Error establishing a database connection'

I hope somebody here can help me.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Harm22
Aspirant

Re: Readynas Ultra 4 not booting

The problem resolved itself, so it seems 🙂 Finally the NAS booted. It was still on firmware 4.2.27. I now installed 4.2.28 successfully.

I found 2 odd messages in de log right before the NAS failed to boot:  

Sun Jan 10 12:53:41 CET 2016=?utf-8?B?U3lzdGVlbXVwZGF0ZXN0YXR1cyAoTUVUQUwtTkFTKQ==?= :
Sun Jan 10 12:10:20 CET 2016

=?utf-8?B?U3lzdGVlbXVwZGF0ZXN0YXR1cyAoTUVUQUwtTkFTKQ==?= :

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
Harm22
Aspirant

The problem resolved itself, so it seems 🙂 Finally the NAS booted. It was still on firmware 4.2.27. I now installed 4.2.28 successfully.

I found 2 odd messages in de log right before the NAS failed to boot:  

Sun Jan 10 12:53:41 CET 2016=?utf-8?B?U3lzdGVlbXVwZGF0ZXN0YXR1cyAoTUVUQUwtTkFTKQ==?= :
Sun Jan 10 12:10:20 CET 2016

=?utf-8?B?U3lzdGVlbXVwZGF0ZXN0YXR1cyAoTUVUQUwtTkFTKQ==?= :

Message 2 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Now would probably be a good time to update your backup if you haven't already.

Do you have any add-ons installed on your system?

Message 3 of 9
Harm22
Aspirant

Yes. Learned that the hard way one time, so that's not going to happen to me again. I have all my important files stored on several usb hdd's (daily backup) and in the cloud. 

Regarding add-ons; I run a few of them. Mainly download services (Sabnzb, Transmission) and dlna services (Minimserver, Twonky).

I run a volume check and parity check every week. Last night the system gave the following message:

"The scheduled disk scrubbing was skipped because the operating system volume was degraded.  Please replace the failed disk(s) and the disk scrubbing will occur at the next scheduled time." I went to the 'status' menu and it showed that 3 out of 4 disks were failing?!?! Smiley Mad

I'm running a disk check (from the boot menu) right now, so I'm wondering what that will show me.

Message 4 of 9
Harm22
Aspirant

Ok, it's getting more interesting. After the scan, 2 out of 4 disks are labeled 'not useable'. I did a reboot, then 1 disk was still labeled 'not useable'. And after another reboot all 4 disks were 'OK'. I'll run some more tests, but it seems that everything is just fine now. Just very odd Smiley Frustrated

Message 5 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What brand and model disks are you using?

Message 6 of 9
Harm22
Aspirant

These are the disks:

Knl 1 : WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0 [2794 GB]
2790 GB toegewezen  
Knl 2 : Hitachi HDS5C3020ALA632 [1863 GB]
1858 GB toegewezen  
Knl 3 : WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0 [2794 GB]
2790 GB toegewezen  
Knl 4 : WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0 [2794 GB]
2790 GB toegewezen
Message 7 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Any SMART errors on the disks?

Message 8 of 9
Harm22
Aspirant

I did check for errors, but I couldn't find any.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements