× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas freezes on start up after constantly crashing

DavidCXX
Aspirant

Readynas freezes on start up after constantly crashing

Finding this extremely frustrating. After various problems last year that appeared to be fixed by a OS reinstall, my NAS has been crashing more and more frequently over the last couple of days. I have tried to do a reinstall again and it won't work - goes straight to booting and then freezes there. Only had this NAS for a bit over a year and not very impressed given the many many problems it has been beset by. Once it freezes in booting only unplugging it will solve the issue. Help please...

Message 1 of 45
DavidCXX
Aspirant

I can occasionally get it to boot menu and so that it says OS reinstall but then the NAS won't actually start the reinstall when I press the power button. If I press the reset again it boots and I'm back to it crashing. I am not at all technical but this system isnt great surely...?!

Model: RN10442D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (4x 2TB Desktop)
Message 2 of 45
StephenB
Guru

What firmware are you running?  Have you disabled the antivirus service?

Message 3 of 45
DavidCXX
Aspirant

I'm not sure what firmware it is as I can't get it working long enough to check - I updated it at the end of last year. And sorry, I was trying the USB recovery tool rather than OS reinstall, my mistake, either way it just goes back to freezing whilst booting.

Message 4 of 45
DavidCXX
Aspirant

ok Ive tried using another USB and that seems to have worked - my antivirus is on but Im being alerted to a huge amount of threats - 40 and rising - help!

Message 5 of 45
StephenB
Guru

I suggest disabling the antivirus service.

Then perhaps scan the NAS shares with a different AV tool (hosted on a PC).

Message 6 of 45
DavidCXX
Aspirant

Ok - I have made quite a bit of progress, thanks for your advice which has been very helpful - deleted a load of files that were identified as viruses / threats so the readynas isnt crashing any longer. However, I now have a problem that I was having just before this in that the readyDLNA can't be found by any devices. It is found to begin with and works fine but after a few hours it drops off. I don't think this is due to the router as it is found to begin with and devices can still see the plex server on the nas - any ideas? I can shut down the NAS and it starts working again but obviously that isn't a long term solution. Thanks in advance

Message 7 of 45
StephenB
Guru

You are running both plex and ReadyDLNA?  That is a bit unusual, as they both act as DLNA servers.  Do you actually need them both?

I'd start with manually rescanning the ReadyDLNA shares for media.

You could also try temporarily disabling plex and restarting the NAS, and see if ReadyDLNA is then discovered by the clients.

Message 8 of 45
DavidCXX
Aspirant

I disabled plex and ReadyDLNA started working but then stopped again a few hours later - when I went into the admin page the readyDNLA had been disabled - yet I hadnt done it myself and it was definitely enabled before. Any ideas? How do I manually rescan? Is that just through the readyDLNA settings? I've done that and it seems to be hanging on the rescan in progress notification - should I just leave that to work through, even it takes a long time (ie hours)? Thanks

Message 9 of 45
StephenB
Guru

How long as the rescan in progress been there?

I am wondering if a malformed media file is causing the scanner to crash.

Message 10 of 45
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There should be some clues in the logs zip file if the scanner is crashing on a malformed media file. Have you downloaded the logs zip file and had a look in that?

Message 11 of 45
DavidCXX
Aspirant

Ok - this problem seemed to fix itself when I turned off the antivirus and purged my drives of the files that the antivirus thought were corrupted (info.zip files) - as well as turning off the plex. However over the last week the problem has reappeared. To begin with it was occasional and by restarting the Nas it would fix itself but then it was everyday and now I can't seem to access the readynas dlna at all even when I restart it. The admin page says readydlna is working and yet it doesnt show up on any of my media players on the network. And yet readycloud does work... help please! Thank you in advance for any advice.

Message 12 of 45
DavidCXX
Aspirant

Hi - this problem continues to reappear and now the nasbox is entirely freezing and the display reads 'out of memory+ 390' even though if I reset it says there is 54% free - would this be a malformed media file? Thanks for your help.

Message 13 of 45
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please boot the NAS into volume read-only mode and send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)

If your backup is not up to date it would be advisable to update it.

Message 14 of 45
DavidCXX
Aspirant

Thanks - I have emailed it through as per the link on your signature.

Message 15 of 45
DavidCXX
Aspirant

Can someone please come back to me re this - I have tried to update by backup but the readynas switches to out of memory straight away so I can't. This is really frustrating and I feel like th readynas has had more or less contract problems since I bought it.

Message 16 of 45
DavidCXX
Aspirant

*constant

Message 17 of 45
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the logs.

You have a almost 300 snapshots and the last time the logs show that it ran out of memory was almost immediately after snapshot pruning.

Could you consider reducing the number of snapshots and lowering the frequency of taking snapshots and see if the problem remains?

Message 18 of 45
DavidCXX
Aspirant

Hi - thanks for looking at this. Is there a way that I can delete the snapshots? At present when I turn on the readynas it goes to Out of Memory almost immediately as you say so how would I do this? Certainly I would happily reduce these going forward just not sure what to do right now to do this - thanks.

Message 19 of 45
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have just sent you a PM.

Message 20 of 45
DavidCXX
Aspirant

have just responded thanks

Message 21 of 45
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have removed the snapshots.

Message 22 of 45
DavidCXX
Aspirant

Hi,

Apologies, I've been away since you did this - many thanks for doing that, that wa really appreciated - unfortunately I have encoutered further problems. The readynas seemed to be working after you removed the snapshots - so I went to the shares menu, ticked the 'access to snapshots' and amended the schedule to weekly for all folders. I then tried to delete that daily snapshots for the last 2 weeks (apart from the last two) for each principle folder. This was working fine until I got to a particularly large folder and in trying to do this the readynas froze and now when I reboot, it goes straight to out of memory +390... I tried to delete the snapshots in voume read only but received an error code. Really sorry to ask again but is there any further advice? Many thanks.

Message 23 of 45
DavidCXX
Aspirant

Can anyone assist re the below? Thanks

Apologies, I've been away since you did this - many thanks for doing that, that wa really appreciated - unfortunately I have encoutered further problems. The readynas seemed to be working after you removed the snapshots - so I went to the shares menu, ticked the 'access to snapshots' and amended the schedule to weekly for all folders. I then tried to delete that daily snapshots for the last 2 weeks (apart from the last two) for each principle folder. This was working fine until I got to a particularly large folder and in trying to do this the readynas froze and now when I reboot, it goes straight to out of memory +390... I tried to delete the snapshots in voume read only but received an error code. Really sorry to ask again but is there any further advice? Many thanks.

Message 24 of 45
StephenB
Guru

If you have a backup, I suggest a factory reset (rebuilding the system, and restoring data from the backup).

Message 25 of 45
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 44 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements