× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas freezes on start up after constantly crashing

DavidCXX
Aspirant

Do you mean a seaparate hard drive with all the data stored on it? If so unfortunately not due to the problems I had previously. Would there by any possibility that I could send through the logs and perhaps someone could check what has happened when I was deleting the snapshots? Thanks

Message 26 of 45
StephenB
Guru

@DavidCXX wrote:

Do you mean a seaparate hard drive with all the data stored on it?

Yes.

@DavidCXX wrote:

Would there by any possibility that I could send through the logs and perhaps someone could check what has happened when I was deleting the snapshots? Thanks

@Logs you send in are looked at by Netgear, so perhaps wait for @mdgm or some other Netgear employee to comment.

Message 27 of 45
DavidCXX
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen - really appreciate your help. I've emailed mdgm last week but not response - I'll wait as they must be busy.

Any other suggestions? It really did seem to be working fine again until I tried to delete these snapshots...

Message 28 of 45
DavidCXX
Aspirant

maybe I should open a new topic and close this one down? 

Message 29 of 45
StephenB
Guru

@DavidCXX wrote:

Any other suggestions? 

If the data is available in read-only mode then make a backup.

Message 30 of 45
DavidCXX
Aspirant

Ok - but is there any way to delete snapshots via volume read only or other non-standard boots - or can this only be done by Netgear - if so should I be calling them? At present I can't do anything but ready only on this nas. 

Message 31 of 45
StephenB
Guru

After you have the data backed up, I think you should just do a factory reset on the NAS, and then restore the data after it rebuilds.

Message 32 of 45
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@StephenB wrote:

After you have the data backed up, I think you should just do a factory reset on the NAS, and then restore the data after it rebuilds.

+1. I think that is the way forward here.

Message 33 of 45
DavidCXX
Aspirant

Hello, sorry to be back here...

after my previous experiences and your support in removing the snapshots, I reduced the number of snapshots right down which seemed to do the trick. Unfortunately on upgrading to the new FW, it now hangs during booting at 99 or 97% and then on the one time it managed to boot fully I got the Out of Memory 330 yet again. I've just tried doing an OS reinstall and again got to 99% but stalled saying apache2.service - which is a new one for me. Any thoughts? 

I can send logs if helpful - I know I will be asked to do another factory reset but would rather not do that again if possible...!

thanks in advance

Message 34 of 45
DavidCXX
Aspirant

I can do volume read only btw - that is about all I can do at present

Message 35 of 45
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It looks like you never did the backup and factory reset and restore from backup that was suggested months ago.

Is your data backed up?

Message 36 of 45
DavidCXX
Aspirant

I'm backing it up now - as the problem went away I didn't do a reset. Can I just confirm that all I need to back up is the data folder not the drives or home shares folders? Or the time machine?

Why is it that FW updates always seem to cause problems - there are so many postings on here saying a version of this?

Thanks.

Message 37 of 45
StephenB
Guru

@DavidCXX wrote:

I'm backing it up now - as the problem went away I didn't do a reset. Can I just confirm that all I need to back up is the data folder not the drives or home shares folders? Or the time machine?

The home folder and time machine are saved in the data volume.  You might check that everthing (including hidden files) is on the backup.

Message 38 of 45
DavidCXX
Aspirant

Thanks - how would i check the hidden files?

Message 39 of 45
DavidCXX
Aspirant

So just to be clear I am backing up the data/ folder?

Message 40 of 45
StephenB
Guru

@DavidCXX wrote:

Thanks - how would i check the hidden files?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14201/windows-show-hidden-files

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/how-show-hidden-files-in-mac-os-x-finder-funter-352087...

@DavidCXX wrote:

So just to be clear I am backing up the data/ folder?

You need to back up everything on the NAS you care about.  With XRAID all the user files/folders are in the data volume. 

You also need to document the setup of your NAS (shares, user accounts, configuration, apps) because you will need to completely rebuild the NAS after the reset.

After the reset, set up the NAS (including shares) first.  Also reinstall your apps before you restore the data. 

There might be some tricks to restoring access to your old time machine backups - I'm don't use time machine, so I am not sure.

Message 41 of 45
DavidCXX
Aspirant

I am using Raid 5 - does that make a difference?

Message 42 of 45
StephenB
Guru

Per your logs, you are using xraid.  

Look on the volumes page - is there a green stripe through the XRAID button on the far right?

But even if you were running flexraid it wouldn't matter much - just that you could have more than one volume (perhaps named something other than data).  If you had done that, the volume names would appear under the separate pie-charts on the volumes page.

Message 43 of 45
DavidCXX
Aspirant

ok i did the factory reset after backing up but my user account has presumably been deleted? I can't log in - how do I access the readynas?

Message 44 of 45
DavidCXX
Aspirant

sorry forget that all sorted - will see what it is like once I have set up shares, apps and transferred back the data

Message 45 of 45
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 44 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements