× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas nv+ Locks files after share changes

mrNobody
Aspirant

Readynas nv+ Locks files after share changes

Hello boys 'n girls,

I have a Readynas nv+ running RAIDiator 4.1.14 [1.00a043]. It has worked reasonably well for the past four years. The original setup was with 3 user shares, using "share" as the security option. A year ago I removed two of those shares because of space shortage. No problems so far. Recently this shortage issue was resolved and I added an extra share again. Because no pc was able to access the share (windows 7, windows 10, ubuntu server 14, NAS kept asking for credentials), I removed it again. Ever since I have had issues with my ubuntu machine. In windows I can move and remove files as usual, but my Ubuntu machine keeps giving the files locked error. Even if I close down all other machines in the network, it still cannot move the files. If I reset the share permissions in radiator, it can move the files without a problem. I hate to have to do this every day just for my server to work correctly.

Does anybody know why the nas is locking the files all of a sudden? It never did this before!

cheers

mrNobody

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readynas nv+ Locks files after share changes

"Share" is not the recommended security mode  - "user" works better with newer versions of windows.

Perhaps try migrating to user security mode, and set all the systems to use the same NAS user account (using the Windows Credential Manager on the Windows PCs).

Message 2 of 11
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi mrNobody,

Welcome to the community!

I agree with StephenB's suggestion. Here's an article that will explain and help you with this change.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 11
mrNobody
Aspirant

Can I change this setting without losing any files/access to any files?

Message 4 of 11
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi mrNobody,

If you will set up the permissions properly, you won't have any difficulty accessing your files in your computers. Just follow the article and let us know what happens.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Also changing the security mode will not destroy the files.

Message 6 of 11
mrNobody
Aspirant

I have changed the security mode. I have added a user with the same username and UID as my linux machine, but the problem persists. New files are not owned by the uid I gave, and the linux machine still sees them as locked files

Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@mrNobody wrote:

New files are not owned by the uid I gave

They should be owned by the NAS account you used to access the share.  You are saying that is not the case?

Message 8 of 11
mrNobody
Aspirant

That is what I am saying yes. Upon further inspection the files are owned by nobody with nogroup

Message 9 of 11
StephenB
Guru

That sounds like anonymous access was used.  .

I guess the real issue is the locked files though.  Do you have oplocks enabled?  You could try reversing the setting for that, and see if behavior changes.

Message 10 of 11
mrNobody
Aspirant

Turned it off, didn't change a thing. Rebooted the nas, rebooted the VM, rebooted the host and the vm, nothing works the files stay locked 😞

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements