× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas rclone and backblaze

depitropov
Aspirant

Readynas rclone and backblaze

Hello there,

I am choosing a cloud backup for my ReadyNas 204. I won't consider ReadyVault so please don't propose it to me 🙂
After some research I've come down to two options:

1) iDrive for which there is an application in the app store. It looks like a reliable service, affordable and secure but this review made me think twice: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/iDrive-readynas-review/td-p/1373059 as it would be quite heavy on the CPU and the initial upload would be very slow.

2) BackBlaze B2. It's again secure, afforadble and more fast. It doesnt have an application for Linux so I am looking at using Rclone. Has anyone tried using rclone and readynas and especially rclone with Backblaze B2. Are there any challenges, pitfals or is it straightforward?

Any additional info/reviews on the two options? They both have client side encryption right?

Thanks in advance!

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204 4-Bay
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

The idrive review is a couple of years old - it'd be helpful if someone who uses it could chime in with newer information.

FWIW, I am using Crashplan myself.  Though I run it on a Windows PC that has the NAS data volume mapped to a drive letter. One disadvantage of Crashplan is that they have recently decided to exclude image backups from their backups - including  .vhd or .tib files (among others).

Message 2 of 5
depitropov
Aspirant

Thanks. Yes it would be nice to have newer review of iDrive, maybe I would do one 😉
Still wondering, anyone trid out rclone?

Message 3 of 5

i've tried Rclone to mirror my home directory to Onedrive(*)

works well but very CPU demanding. while rclone was running,  the box was so noisy, i had to limit mirroring with one time a week, then eventually got rid of it,

I believe my actions were like:

# cd ~
# mkdir rclone; cd rclone
# wget https://downloads.rclone.org/v1.50.2/rclone-v1.50.2-linux-amd64.zip
# unzip rclone-v1.50.2-linux-amd64.zip
# cd rclone-v1.50.2-linux-amd64
# chmod +x rclone
# mv * .. # nano ~/rclone_cron.sh
#!/bin/bash
if pidof -o %PPID -x "rclone-cron.sh"; then
exit 1
fi

# here comes your stuff

*) readynas can't sync the local user home and the cloud home , it was the only suitable workaround

Model: RNDU6000|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Chassis only
Message 4 of 5

update: i've looked into my nas and it's like this:

# mkdir /apps/rclone
# cd /apps/rclone
# wget ... (as in previous message)

then:

# nano /etc/profile

(add "/apps/rclone" to the both PATH variables)
Model: RNDU6000|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Chassis only
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements