× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Recently my Readynas Ultra 6 Plus keeps rebooting randomly every 20min-1hour

wingzero1
Aspirant

Recently my Readynas Ultra 6 Plus keeps rebooting randomly every 20min-1hour

So since last week my Readynas Ultra 6 Plus, keeps rebooting every 20min-1hour

I hae searched the forums and found another topic about this, however it is closed and i couldn't respond in it, so there were a few tips or things to do, which i did:

I have cleaned the inside, so there is no heat build up due to dust.
I increased my fans to cooler - my fans are running between these speeds

CPU: 1700-1900

system: 840-860

since i bought the device in 2009, the first thing i did was replace the memory to increase it, never had issues with the memory. I have:
MemTotal:        4039328 kB

I disabled rsync and antivirus.

I wanted to do a disk test, but because my readynas is always resyncing due to the reboots and reboots again while it is busy doing the resync, so i am unable to perform a disk test

In the logs I only see the resync info and that my storage capacity is below 20% (still have 2.5Tb free)

However there are no errors in the logs.

any suggestions ?

Message 1 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Recently my Readynas Ultra 6 Plus keeps rebooting randomly every 20min-1hour

And there is nothing in the log showing the power off, just a new power on?

A marginal power supply might cause that, especially the +5VSB (+5V Standby), which powers the on/off circuit.  That's a common issue with the older NAS models -- the power supply just doesn't last forever.  But, it is replaceable with a standard SFX format PSU, though you need a 24-pin extender cable and may need one or more SATA to Molex power adapters or Molex Y cables.  If you have a "spare" ATX12V supply, it can be connected externally to see if that fixes the problem before you invest in a replacement (though they aren't that expensive).

While the standard PSU is only 300W, I recommend at least a 350W replacement because the original has more 12V current capacity than a typical 300W.  I've used a lot of different versions, since many have come and gone from the market, and usually go with a 400W.

If you want the easiest/cleanest replacement, there is a vendor on eBay that has some that already have the needed cabling.

Message 2 of 16
wingzero1
Aspirant

Re: Recently my Readynas Ultra 6 Plus keeps rebooting randomly every 20min-1hour

Hey, thx for the reply.

I am going to run a mem test tonight, just to make sure there is no memory fault.

If not I will buy a replacement for the CPU.

I looked for 24pin SFX supplies and these are 2 possible candidates to buy.
If they are good...

https://www.alternate.be/Voedingen?t=8510&s=default&filter_-2=true&filter_4013=3&fil...

https://www.alternate.be/Thermaltake/Toughpower-SFX-550W-Gold-voeding/html/product/1718547#product-d...
Message 3 of 16
wingzero1
Aspirant

So, i was running a Memory test, which was already running for 5+ hours......

no single fault found and because it has been up for 5+ hours i guess the PSU is also ok....

i noticed there was a lot of network traffick to google api
I have gdrive sync enabled, so i have now disabled it

waiting for results

I also got a weird error message on the screen, which do not appear in the logging

Screenshot_20221124_124849.png

Message 4 of 16
StephenB
Guru

I think the error code is related to email alerts.  Are you using gmail for that?  If so, have you switched to using an app-specific password?

On the main issue, I am thinking a factory default is worth a try.  This will destroy all your data, so you'll need to make a full backup first.

If you have a spare disk, you could try powering down, and removing all disks (labeling by slot).  Then do a fresh install on the spare, and see if that behaves the same way.

Note if this is power-related, passing this test might not prove anything, as a single disk will obviously not load the PSU nearly as much as the full array.  But if it fails, you will rule out the disks and software.

Message 5 of 16
wingzero1
Aspirant

with disabling the gdrive app, it still happens the reboots.

so i am now doing a disk test, from the boot menu, but when that passes, I will need to look at the software....

However, since this is my only NAS and i have around 10+Tb of data, I have no disk to back this up...

factory default, will reset, reinstall and erase all data
OS reinstall will reinstall, but leaving configuration, but will leave all the data....

I am first going for the OS reinstall i think.
Since i did not chagne any settings or configuration since this problem started existing

Message 6 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@wingzero1 wrote:

However, since this is my only NAS and i have around 10+Tb of data, I have no disk to back this up...

I suggest looking into backup solutions. FWIW, a 16 TB external drive would cost less than $300 in the US.

Message 7 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

I don't know that the memory test would be that good at saying the power supply is OK.  Power-up and drive spin-up (if you have spin-down enabled) would be the things that stress it the most.

The first link doesn't take me to an SFX supply.  The second does, but it's quite the overkill for a NAS, with a price to match, but it'll work.  You may be limited in what you can get in your country.  The removable cables does make it a bit cleaner to install, since there are some you can leave off.  It does have two 4-pin Molex connectors, so one SATA to 4-pin is all you need in addition to the 24-pin extender (usually about 12cm, I don't know about with this supply).

You didn't answer the question as to whether the power-down events show up in the log.

Message 8 of 16
wingzero1
Aspirant

Hey thx for the feedback, why overkil? too much watt ? 🙂

no the reboots don't show up in the logs

Message 9 of 16
wingzero1
Aspirant

@Sandshark 

after doing a os reinstall it is still happening the reboots....
even during boot i saw it was being rebooted again..
so time to order a new PSU

I checked again and i think it will be one of these 2

https://www.alternate.be/Sharkoon/SilentStorm-SFX-450-Bronze-450-Watt-voeding/html/product/1161908

https://www.alternate.be/be-quiet/SFX-Power-3-450W-voeding/html/product/1743698

Message 10 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, you'd be paying a premium for more wattage and "gold" status than you really need with the earlier ones.  Of the two you linked, I suggest the Sharkoon, as it has the fan centered.  Some have reported here no issue with an offset fan like on the other one, but you would be losing some cooling capability because it'll be partially blocked.

Message 11 of 16
wingzero1
Aspirant

I figured out as much, so I already ordered it.

Thx for the help. It will arrive on Tuesday normally.

I will keep this topic up to date when I installed it and hopefully can close it 😃
Message 12 of 16
wingzero1
Aspirant

The shark ion PSU arrived, but it has only 2 ide 4-pin power connectors instead of the 3 that were connected...

Or is one of those redundant?

I ordered a sata ide connector to be able to connect all 3 ide power ports
Message 13 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

Did you also order the 24-pin extender?  I've not seen any stock supplies with a cable long enough, though you can connect it externally without one just to see if it fixes your issue.

Message 14 of 16
wingzero1
Aspirant

I'd I'd not oder an extension
Because it connect. Not as beautifull is the standers one..... But a connection is a connection....
Message 15 of 16
Sandshark
Sensei

OK.  Good to know the cable on that one is long enough without the extension.  Few are.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements