× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Recover Deleted Videos Ready Nas104

jimcocteau
Guide

Recover Deleted Videos Ready Nas104

Hi,

I really hope somone out there can help.

I just inadvertently deleted 20TB of video from my ReadyNas 104. I am using OS X 10.10.5 is there any way to retrieve?

Thanks,

Jim  

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Bit-rot protection (is a separate thing to CoW but we link enabling/disabling the two). Snapshots use CoW at the point in time snapshots are taken.

These features can be useful, but they should only be used where appropriate. If you make a huge number of changes in place to files then CoW (Copy on Write - where changes to files do not overwrite the existing data) will lead to a large amount of fragmentation.

There are scripts that can be run to attempt to undelete deleted files, but certainly one can't rely on these. The highest chance of success is where you notice immediately the mistake and cease writing to the NAS. When you write new files to the NAS (or modify existing ones) you will start to overwrite deleted data.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So you don't have a backup? Accidental file deletions is one reason why backups are important if you value your data.

What did you do exactly that resulted in deleting that much data?

Message 2 of 10
jimcocteau
Guide

Hi mdgm,

No backup on the NAS, very stupid I know and shall fix this now. It was actually about 100GB, thought I was deleting one small directory only just did not realise....not payng attention...

Jim

Message 3 of 10
jimcocteau
Guide

Alaso deleted through Mac Finder direct to Trash

Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

If you had snapshots enabled on the share, you could recover the most recent snapshot.

Message 5 of 10
jimcocteau
Guide

no such luck, as per below screenshot i do have now, seems I will have to take the loss and just grab it all again.

Thanks

Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 10.44.51 PM.png

Message 6 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you delete an entire share folder from the UI or did you delete a subdirectory or what?

Did you have bit-rot protection enabled on the share the files were in?

If you can get the files again, that would probably be best in this situation.

There are some tools that can be tried to attempt data recovery (depending what you did and how the NAS was configured) but with large files such as videos the chances of successful recovery aren't very good.

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

There is one snapshot listed for video - not sure why you are saying "no such luck".

@jimcocteau wrote:

no such luck, as per below screenshot i do have now, seems I will have to take the loss and just grab it all again.

Thanks

Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 10.44.51 PM.png

Message 8 of 10
jimcocteau
Guide

Did you delete an entire share folder from the UI or did you delete a subdirectory or what?

Deleted a subdirectory of Videos.

Did you have bit-rot protection enabled on the share the files were in?

No, but I will look into this.

If you can get the files again, that would probably be best in this situation

I can get them again.

I only configured the snapshot after the fact 😞

I have commenced downloading the files again.

Thanks for your advice, I will do a complete study of backup options for the future 🙂 I do have another Ready NAS 104 that is full, that's about 20TB so backup is essential....

Message 9 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Bit-rot protection (is a separate thing to CoW but we link enabling/disabling the two). Snapshots use CoW at the point in time snapshots are taken.

These features can be useful, but they should only be used where appropriate. If you make a huge number of changes in place to files then CoW (Copy on Write - where changes to files do not overwrite the existing data) will lead to a large amount of fragmentation.

There are scripts that can be run to attempt to undelete deleted files, but certainly one can't rely on these. The highest chance of success is where you notice immediately the mistake and cease writing to the NAS. When you write new files to the NAS (or modify existing ones) you will start to overwrite deleted data.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements