× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Recover data from disks

michelefaccini
Aspirant

Recover data from disks

Hi all !
After some 'Reallocated sector count has increased...messages', I decided to buy two new HD disks and installed everything from scratch. Everything now is running without any problems.

I want to retrieve some data from the old couple of disks which were still accessible and readable before their substitution.

Here's my question :

Can I unplug the two new HD disks (with the Readynas powered off) and plug back the old disks, retrieve some data from them and at the end put the new disks back without any issue ?
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Recover data from disks

@SynchronisIT wrote:

However what's still not clear to me is if, in the 18 months that's past since they were replaced, there have been multiple firmware updates to RAIDiator.  What happens then if there is this "mismatch" between the old disk config and the new firmware - too much of a risk or "no worries mate"?

If the firmware saved in the flash doesn't match the version on the disk, then the NAS will attempt to reinstall the firmware from the flash to the disks. Normally that doesn't cause any problems if the firmware in the flash is newer.  If it is older, the downgrade could potentially fail. 

Since Netgear just announced that final firmware for 4.2.x systems is 4.2.28, if you install that before you archive your disks, there likely won't be a mismatch.  You can also store the firmware image on a USB thumb drive that you archive with the disks.  Then you can install the firmware onto the NAS first (putting an unformatted scratch disk in the NAS first, doing a factory install, and then manually installing the firmware you want).  After that, power down and insert the archived disks in the original order.

The NVX uses standard linux tools, so you also could mount the RAID array in another x86 linux system if desired.   

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

michelefaccini wrote:
Can I unplugged the two new HD disks (with the Readynas powered off) and plug back the old disks, retrieve some data from them and at the end put the new disks back without any issue ?
Yes, but only if none of the old disks are part of the new array.

It's best to label new disks by slot as you remove them, and return them to the same place.

You'd
(a) power down
(b) reinstall all of the old disks
(c) power up
(d) retrieve your data

Then power down again, and install the new drives.
Message 2 of 4
SynchronisIT
Aspirant

Hi

Am in the situation where I want the existing 4 disks from my NVX to be placed in storage for potential retreival later.   I understand that the configuration settings are saved with the disks and that if they're placed back into the same unit in the same drive bays they should boot up okay.

However what's still not clear to me is if, in the 18 months that's past since they were replaced, there have been multiple firmware updates to RAIDiator.  What happens then if there is this "mismatch" between the old disk config and the new firmware - too much of a risk or "no worries mate"?

Thanks

Paul

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@SynchronisIT wrote:

If the firmware saved in the flash doesn't match the version on the disk, then the NAS will attempt to reinstall the firmware from the flash to the disks. Normally that doesn't cause any problems if the firmware in the flash is newer.  If it is older, the downgrade could potentially fail. 

Since Netgear just announced that final firmware for 4.2.x systems is 4.2.28, if you install that before you archive your disks, there likely won't be a mismatch.  You can also store the firmware image on a USB thumb drive that you archive with the disks.  Then you can install the firmware onto the NAS first (putting an unformatted scratch disk in the NAS first, doing a factory install, and then manually installing the firmware you want).  After that, power down and insert the archived disks in the original order.

The NVX uses standard linux tools, so you also could mount the RAID array in another x86 linux system if desired.   

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements