× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Recovering from failed firmware update - RAIDiator 4.2.24

ReadyNoob
Aspirant

Recovering from failed firmware update - RAIDiator 4.2.24

I have a readynas ultra 4+

I updated to the latest firmware via frontview (RAIDiator 4.2.24) but the log said that the checksum was invalid. I rebooted the system when prompted, however there was a message on the LED that said "err could not properly extract" and it got stuck there. Hard rebooted one more time, and it is now stuck in "Updating FW". I'm not sure i understand why it tried to install the firmware anyway when it realised that the firmware had an invalid checksum.

From googling around, i realise i can use the reset pin and go to the boot menu, and do an OS reinstall, but since i'm already on firmware 4.2.22, i'm not sure whether that is a good idea, given the partition change - is it safe to do a firmware and OS reinstall that way? Are there any other options (force fw reinstall from usb?). I'd really really prefer not to lose all my data 😞

Thanks
Message 1 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Recovering from failed firmware update - RAIDiator 4.2.2

OS Partition is probably full. I would suggest contacting support.
Message 2 of 3
ReadyNoob
Aspirant

Re: Recovering from failed firmware update - RAIDiator 4.2.2

Update: I shut down the device, and I pulled out all 4 drives (labelled them), booted the device - and it came up with a "no disk detected" message. Shut down again, put all disks back in, and powered it on again, and it booted just fine, installed the firmware this time, and everything seems to be working fine. Not sure why booting with no disks reset it, but it seems to have worked.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements