× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Recovery

miogpsrocks
Tutor

Recovery

Is there a software to recover data from the readynas. 

My system keep disappearing off my netework and usually a restart will fix the issue. 

However last time it happen, the restarts are not helping and it won't show up on Raidar. 

I tested eask disk on Crystal Disk info and they all show as good and spin up. 

Last time I loged into web admin, everything was showing up green for hard drive health status and logs had no errors. 

The OLED screen display on the device itself has been broken for a long time and unable to see any information. 

Maybe some other issue. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Model: RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Recovery

@miogpsrocks

Have you checked if the NIC port has LED indicators? or have you performed any update recently? If the drives are healthy, it might be the chassis that's having the issue and may need to be checked.

Do you notice if the NAS boots normally? If not  doing a USB recovery might help. Contacting Support is also advised.

Regarding data recovery a lot of users here might recommend ReCLAIMe, ddrescue, r-linux.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Marc_V wrote:

Regarding data recovery a lot of users here might recommend ReCLAIMe, ddrescue, r-linux.

@miogpsrocks:  If I recall correctly, you are running OS-6 on your Pro.  If that's right, you'd need to use ReclaiMe (since you need btrfs recovery).

Note that is the array is healthy, you can directly migrate your disks to a new x86 ReadyNAS.

Message 3 of 7
miogpsrocks
Tutor

And if anything is done wrong, it might format all my drives and 100% data loss would result  right?  

Message 4 of 7
miogpsrocks
Tutor

@Marc_V wrote:

@miogpsrocks

Have you checked if the NIC port has LED indicators? or have you performed any update recently? If the drives are healthy, it might be the chassis that's having the issue and may need to be checked.

Do you notice if the NAS boots normally? If not  doing a USB recovery might help. Contacting Support is also advised.

HTH

Regards

The lights are on the NIC card.  I pulled each hard drive and looked on Crystal disk info and it showed as healthy then I ran a short generic test using Seatools and it all showed up as good. 

The device sometimes has started up where I could see the device on Raidar software however the file browser shows up as Empty. 

Other times I have check and I have access to the files but ability to access the files drops off soon after I try to back them up. 

With Reclaime, I have 6 hard drives in this device but I believe only 4 SATA connectors in my PC and one is being used for current OS. 

Can I make some kind of virtual drive Clone 1 by 1 of each Hard drive then use the software to run whole RAID magic formula combination  that will turn that into data files? 

How do I manage 6 drives in the recovery software when that exceeds the number of SATA ports in the PC? 

Thanks. 

Message 5 of 7
miogpsrocks
Tutor

@StephenB wrote:

@Marc_V wrote:

@miogpsrocks:  If I recall correctly, you are running OS-6 on your Pro.  If that's right, you'd need to use ReclaiMe (since you need btrfs recovery).

Note that is the array is healthy, you can directly migrate your disks to a new x86 ReadyNAS.

How do I know if I have an X86, arm or sparc readynas CPU chip? 

Seem like the same type of readynas can use different CPU.

Also I believe my readynas originally had the older style GUI interface however I upgraded to the newer looked firmware. 

Original look: https://i1.wp.com/rnxtras.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/r4.png?w=525&ssl=1

Upgraded look: https://i2.wp.com/rnxtras.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/r6.png?w=524&ssl=1

Does readynas tend to automatically format a newly placed hard drive if placed in a Readynas unit? 

Thanks. 

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@miogpsrocks wrote:

How do I know if I have an x86, arm or sparc readynas CPU chip? 

ReadyNAS Pro and Ultras are x86.  

The full answer for legacy NAS is:

• All systems running 4.1.x firmware are sparc
  • All systems running 4.2.x firmware are x86
  • All systems running 5.3.x firmware are arm.

OS-6 systems are either arm or x86.  For desktop models

• RN100 series (RN102, RN104) are arm
  • RN200 series (RN202, RN204, RN212, RN214) are arm
  • RN300, RN400, RN500, RN600, and RN700 series are x86

If you are planning to convert your NAS, it is quite important that you be sure of the model.  The NVX NAS was an early x86 NAS that has a 32 bit architecture.  That line can't be converted.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements