× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Refer to 2017 post " Cannot delete share due to Snapshot deletion error "

donlingg
Aspirant

Refer to 2017 post " Cannot delete share due to Snapshot deletion error "

I have the same problem.  I can't delete a share because of unseen snapshot(s).  There is a solution posted with this 2017 post but I don't understand the solution presented.  Can someone dumb it down for me and help me delete a useless share folder?

thank you..............don

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@donlingg wrote:

I don't know what "ssh" is or "btrfs". 

That suggests that a better path for you is to use paid support (my.netgear.com).  Per-incident support would be about $75 (though that might vary for other geographies).  You could also do a factory reset, reconfigure the NAS, and restore all the files from a backup.  Painful, but that won't cost you anything but your time.

SSH:  Secure Socket Shell.  This is a way to log into the NAS that gives you the ability to enter linux commands. If you have no experience with linux commands, there is a pretty high risk you would do damage.  If you've ever run Windows commands from the command prompt, that will give you some idea of what's involved.  

BTRFS: B-Tree File System.  This is the file system used for the NAS data volume.  ReadyNAS snapshots are a feature of this particular file system.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btrfs

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@donlingg wrote:

I have the same problem.  I can't delete a share because of unseen snapshot(s).  There is a solution posted with this 2017 post but I don't understand the solution presented.  Can someone dumb it down for me and help me delete a useless share folder?

It's hard to know what to "dumb down", since you didn't link to the old post.

Can you look at this one, and tell us what you need simplified?  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/hidden-snapshots-wont-delete/m-p/17...

Note that post does assume that ssh is enabled on your NAS, and that you do know how to log in with ssh.

Message 2 of 4
donlingg
Aspirant

Thank you for your response.  I don't know what "ssh" is or "btrfs".  How do access it on the NAS?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@donlingg wrote:

I don't know what "ssh" is or "btrfs". 

That suggests that a better path for you is to use paid support (my.netgear.com).  Per-incident support would be about $75 (though that might vary for other geographies).  You could also do a factory reset, reconfigure the NAS, and restore all the files from a backup.  Painful, but that won't cost you anything but your time.

SSH:  Secure Socket Shell.  This is a way to log into the NAS that gives you the ability to enter linux commands. If you have no experience with linux commands, there is a pretty high risk you would do damage.  If you've ever run Windows commands from the command prompt, that will give you some idea of what's involved.  

BTRFS: B-Tree File System.  This is the file system used for the NAS data volume.  ReadyNAS snapshots are a feature of this particular file system.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btrfs

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements