× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Regarding Snapshot on NAS RN428

Manohar
Initiate

Regarding Snapshot on NAS RN428

Hi

I have just purchased a RN428 NAS and it is working good.I Stored Data on it and took snapshot. 

I have a doubt that is if accidentally, some one deleted some data from shared data, how can i find that perticular data was deleted in my stporage. How Can i find on snapshot which data was deleted, why i am asking that Snapshot is showing all data like deleted data and non-deleted data.

Please let me know the solution.

Thank You

Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Regarding Snapshot on NAS RN428

If you are using windows, you can right-click on a file or folder, and see previous versions right from Windows.

On the NAS, you'd browse the snapshots and look for the files/folders.

Message 2 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

I think his question is if (and then how) you can look at the snapshot and determine what has been deleted from the main, and the answer is not by looking at the snapshot alone.  You can do the right-click in Windows and then compare the folders side-by-side or make the snapshots visible and use a Windows duplicate finder program to do it.  Those tn the snapshot without duplicates tn the main, using file name only for the match criteria, have been deleted.

Message 3 of 5
Manohar
Initiate

Thank you all,

I have more than 40TB of Data on the device and how can i cross check all data side by side, it is time taking and not flexible to compare.

Can i send a request to Community or NAS software development team, that if i delete any data, automatically deleted data can be find as marked or in other color on snapshots.

if it is possible, how can i request them.

please let me know.

Thank You.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

You can post your ideas in the ReadyNAS idea exchange:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-for-ReadyNAS/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-storage

In the specific case of snapshots -

When you create a snapshot, it includes everything that is in the main share.  It takes no additional disk space, because the data blocks held in common (shared), so there is only one copy of the files.  When you delete a file, it remains in the snapshot(s), but is removed from the main share.  When a file is changed in the main share, the "copy on write" feature of BTRFS means that changed data is written to the main share, but the original data blocks remain in the snapshot(s). 

Snapshots really shouldn't be considered a backup, since they aren't independent of the main share.  They are more like the recycle bin feature - a convenient way to recover from accidental deletion or over-writing.  Note ReadyDR uses snapshots, but is a backup since it's snapshots are independent of the main share.

The way I understand your feature request is that you'd like a way to easily compare a snapshot to the main share.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements