× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Remote FTP access to my readynas duo

STG2005
Aspirant

Remote FTP access to my readynas duo

Hi, I recently decided to use a nas that I had at home because Google Photos no longer has unlimited space in the cloud.
The ReadyNas duo works perfectly on my local network. So I decided to try accessing from another network.
The problem is that I cannot connect from another network with the FTP protocol.
I have already tried following this tutorial: https://fredriklofter.com/setup-ftps-on-your-readynas-duo/
but I still cannot access from another network. Does somebody knows why it could be?

Model: RND2000|ReadyNAS Duo Chassis only
Message 1 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Remote FTP access to my readynas duo

There are many things that can go wrong in that procedure.  If you've tested that everything works on your local network, then the most likely cause is that the device (a phone?) isn't finding the NAS.   Do you have a static public IP, are you using a DDNS service to direct access to your IP, or are you doing something else?

If you've not tested that it works locally, then do that and come back with any errors you get.

Your NAS is very old with outdated security, so you are potentially opening yourself up to problems.  If your router supports it, setting up remote access via OpenVPN may be a better way to go.  There is an OpenVPN client for both IOS and Android.

Message 2 of 11
STG2005
Aspirant

In my local network everything works fine and I can access it from my phone.
I think the problem is that the nas is connected to a secondary router that creates a new network.
It goes something like this:
Nas-------Router2(with another network)----router1

How should I configure the first router, so that it redirects to the nas or to the second router and the second router to the nas?
Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@STG2005 wrote:

Nas-------Router2(with another network)----router1

How should I configure the first router, so that it redirects to the nas or to the second router and the second router to the nas?

Forward the ports you are using for FTPS from router1 to router2.  Then forward them again to the NAS.  

Also, use IP address reservation to make sure that router2's WAN port always gets the same IP address from router1, and also use IP address reservation to make sure the NAS always gets the same IP address from router2. 

You'll also want a DDNS service to reach the NAS, since router2's WAN IP address will change from time to time.  That can be deployed on either router1 or router2.  

Be careful to always use ftps, and to use a strong password on the ftp user account.  Normal FTP is unencrypted, so the credentials can leak if you accidentely use ftp.

A more secure approach is to deploy OpenVPN on router2 - though that might require a router upgrade.  Netgear Orbi and Nighthawk routers all have OpenVPN (and DDNS) built in. 

Message 4 of 11
STG2005
Aspirant

I tried that but i can't get it to work.

Movistar router is the first router and afoundry is the second router.

There's a link to some screenshots:  https://mega.nz/file/W0xzQAxJ#LAW5P8uGvT_BI0dsPjAZ6DEVa7ItWkl6_TXxfMYNE4g

https://mega.nz/file/m54nRA6J#0hZlwe1nJMKkl6kBBQUHSCJAJBkPSIMH9uZQiQog-SQ

https://mega.nz/file/uohxlIra#HBKC6yuKrbby5Q5b2vftR_YiBOPIChsL8mSxICWET4U

Message 5 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

Is the second network provided by the second router really necessary?  If it's mainly there to provide a switch and secondary WiFi access point, it may be able to be configured as an access point instead of a router.  Whether it can and how to do that is model dependent.

Message 6 of 11
STG2005
Aspirant

Unfortunately it is necessary

Message 7 of 11
schumaku
Guru

On both routers, ftp control (22/tcp) and the ftp-data range configured on the server must be port forwarded. Also, both routers must be checked for possible local ftp services which must be disabled therefore.

Doing so would allow using plain ftp (typically also possible by the ftp-algs in place on many routers) and ftps (resp. ftpes to be correct).

Be aware the referred article does also include the sftp config - while it's very complete, it does cover different protocols (sftp is NOT ftp, it's ssh)

For troubleshooting, you need a comprehensive ftp application like FileZilla where you can enable verbose resp. detailed log while using the mobile connection. Typical mobile phone ftp clients re by far not helpful enough. 

Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@schumaku is correct on the configuration (though you can change the main port to something other than 22 if you wish).

@STG2005 wrote:

Movistar router is the first router and afoundry is the second router.

There's a link to some screenshots:  https://mega.nz/file/W0xzQAxJ#LAW5P8uGvT_BI0dsPjAZ6DEVa7ItWkl6_TXxfMYNE4g

I'm not seeing the port forwarding in this particular screenshot.

Message 9 of 11
STG2005
Aspirant

I think I found the Movistar router port forwarding
Message 10 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@STG2005 wrote:
I think I found the Movistar router port forwarding

that's adding a firewall rule, not port forwarding. assuming your movistar router is a Mitrastar model -> Manual-de-fabricante-Router-Fibra-Optica-Mitrastar-HGW-2501GN-R2.pdf p.86 ff.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements