× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Remote access to NAS by custom web application

donna14
Follower

Remote access to NAS by custom web application

I am new to ReadyNAS and need guidance to access it remotely via our web application.

Our client's corporate setup is a Windows 2008 server, a web server running IIS v7 and hosts our web application that stores files in a SQL filestream on this network. A second remote office also has access to the web app.

A cloud storage solution was purchased and our web app must now store the files on these devices. The corporate office has Egnyte ELC share and the remote office has a ReadyNAS 312 with Egnyte added on. The corporate office will read/write files on the ELC, the remote office to the NAS; they are then automatically synched to the other location. The goal is to improve upload/download speed by writing to and reading from each office's local device, rather than from the web server.

The web server and the remote office's server each have a drive mapped to it's own device. Using the UNC path, our web app can upload/download files to and from the ELC (which is on the same domain/network as the web server), but cannot do so at the remote office to the NAS.

How do we communicate with the ReadyNAS at the remote office, as it is on another network? Is there a way for the web server to "see" or connect to the NAS or the network in the remote office? Do we need to use WebDAV? Or use HTTP, the NAS' external ip address & port forwarding? Will any changes need to be made on the NAS?

The users of our web app do not see or choose the drive/location where the files reside, nor can we have prompts for them to log in - the web app does it for them.

What would be the best solution? Thanks,

Donna
Message 1 of 2
HariKrishnan
Aspirant

Re: Remote access to NAS by custom web application

Reposting the response from Egnyte message boards:
https://egnyte.zendesk.com/entries/30331194-Cross-domain-non-network-access-to-ReadyNAS-?page=1#post_22296910

Hi Donna,

As you might already know, Storage Sync performs sync operation between the local store and the cloud only. So there will be an inherent delay for files modified on one sync device to show up on the other device.

That said, we are constantly improving our sync latencies in order to exactly address situations like you the one have described. I have a few questions to understand the problem better:

We have a 9.1.1 release that will shortly (today/tomorrow) be available for ELC and ReadyNAS. This release has a lot of performance optimizations which should in general help with the sync speeds. I believe this should mitigate the delay that you are talking about. I will send a note to you soon after we post the download link on our URL.

Thanks,

Hari
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements