× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Remove all snapshots and disable the feature

PeterD2
Aspirant

Remove all snapshots and disable the feature

I somehow wound up enabling snapshots for my music files. I have dozens of them, each re-creating my entire music hierarchy and consuming over 2/3 of my 4TB of drive space. I cannot find a way to mass delete them all short of an 18-hour Windows delete process which is crazy.

How can I get rid of these and disable the feature forever? One backup of my music folder is all I will probably ever need. Ditto pictures.

Please and thanks!

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@PeterD2 wrote:

You say it doesn't take up all that much space, yet when I search the Music folder (via Windows) for a title, I will see the same title listed dozens of times, each in a different folder, each taking 5 to 10 Mb of space. Multiply that by about 30 GB of music. How does it not take up a phenomenal amount of space?

Read this thread (particularly my post on the first page) https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNAS-312-Need-Help-Understanding-Snapshots...

The short answer is that there aren't as many copies as it looks like.  If the files haven't changed, then the snapshots and the main folder point to the same datablocks.

You can't get real space usage from Windows on this. You need to look in the NAS web ui (6.4.x will show you snapshot usage).  

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

You do both from the web ui. FWIW, normally they don't take as much space as it might appear, but they will take a lot of space if you do a lot of deleting and retagging.

To delete, select the share, and then chose recover.  Select the snapshots you want to delete, and then right-click.  You'll see a delete option as shown.

delete_snapshots.png

To disable snapshots, select the share setting and set the snapshot schedule to "never".

disable_snapshots.png

Message 2 of 6
PeterD2
Aspirant

You say it doesn't take up all that much space, yet when I search the Music folder (via Windows) for a title, I will see the same title listed dozens of times, each in a different folder, each taking 5 to 10 Mb of space. Multiply that by about 30 GB of music. How does it not take up a phenomenal amount of space?

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@PeterD2 wrote:

Read this thread (particularly my post on the first page) https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNAS-312-Need-Help-Understanding-Snapshots...

The short answer is that there aren't as many copies as it looks like.  If the files haven't changed, then the snapshots and the main folder point to the same datablocks.

You can't get real space usage from Windows on this. You need to look in the NAS web ui (6.4.x will show you snapshot usage).  

Message 4 of 6
PeterD2
Aspirant

OK, that explains a lot. The contents of the music and pictures folder will never really change other than new additions will be added--but nothing will ever be deleted from these folders. So is there a point in leaving snapshots enabled, in that case? It's not like a business where files are worked on and modified constantly. Anything like that is in Dropbox on my individual machines. This is strictly to house my video files, music and pictures.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@PeterD2 wrote:

OK, that explains a lot. The contents of the music and pictures folder will never really change other than new additions will be added--but nothing will ever be deleted from these folders. So is there a point in leaving snapshots enabled, in that case? It's not like a business where files are worked on and modified constantly. Anything like that is in Dropbox on my individual machines. This is strictly to house my video files, music and pictures.

Some uses:

-someone mistakenly deletes folders/files

-you replace media with something you think is better, but then you discover a problem with the new version.

-a tagging tool or some other software corrupts the media and/or the embedded tags

I have mine set to "daily" on my media folders.  Once a month I go in and manually delete the oldest snapshot (though there are hints here that Netgear is working on some improved snapshot management).

FWIW, there are situations where you really do need them turned off. A torrent folder is one example.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements