× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Remove inactive volumes - RN316

DaveTrelfa
Follower

Remove inactive volumes - RN316

Hello

I am really hoping someone can help.  This is my first post on the community.  I have (had) a RN316 with 6 drives in working as a RAID5. 

Up until recently it was working great.  Then I noticed that I couldnt write to it - checked the logs and had the "volume encountered an error and was made read only" message. Stupidly I thought I reboot might fix it, so rebooted the system and obviously didnt fix it and then gave me the "remove inactive volumes to use disk" message (screengrab attached). 

whilst these seems to be fairly common occurrance on community with lots of great suggestion but looking through my logs I havent seen anything that matches what my logs say (it doesnt seem to be MD127 or a BTRFS error) but I am definitely no expert when it comes to this...

Can anyone please suggest anything that may help or give me any pointers?  I dont have a backup and deeply regret rebooting as this has 8 years+ of my life and many personal family things on here.

Any help welcomely recieved and thank you in advance.

Model: RN31664E|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay 6x4TB Enterprise Drive
Message 1 of 2
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Remove inactive volumes - RN316

@DaveTrelfa

Welcome to the Communty!

Did you saw any log entry where a disk failure was reported? Getting the NAS on Read Only mode can be due to an improper shutdown. You can send me the full logs so we can check. Please send it through PM.

If your drives are healthy your RAID may just need remounting but if it's due to failure data recovery might be needed. It is very important to have a backup from another storage device and multiple ones for important data 😉

Stay safe

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements