× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4.

MansJos
Follower

Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4.

I have encountered this problem "Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4."

The ReadyNAS was working fine and at one point I got this error. First the data was read only, and then after a restart of the device I got no access to the volume. I switched it off, removed all hard disks one by one and put them back again in the same place while device was still switched off.

When switched on again I still have the same problem.

Thanks for your help.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4.

Do you have a backup of the data?

Try downloading the log zip file from the web ui.  Then send a downloadable link to one of the mods ( @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V ) , and ask them to check it for you.  Don't post it publicly.

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4.

That warning the NAS gives you about making a backup when the file system goes read-only means it.  The absolute worst thing you can do is what you did -- reboot the machine.  Typically, the only solution is backup, factory default, restore data.  But now you've made the backup part impossible, so you have to rely on another backup, that I hope you have.

If you don't, you are looking at a data recovery situation.

I've successfully resurrected a volume in that condition, but only during an experiment where I pretty much caused it myself and knew what had happened, and it wasn't read-only before that.  There are too many possibilities to lead you through a process via the forum that wouldn't be more likely to make matters worse instead of better.  I have tried and failed to make a read-only volume read-write, even when I knew what caused it.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements