× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2,3.

Gwilli14
Aspirant

Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2,3.

My first attemt looks to have failed. Sorry if this is a repeat.

My network started to have files access issues and after rebooting everything but the NAS i had nothing left but now I have lost my X-RAID volume and its shares.

I have now rebooted and power cycled a number of time and still no luck.

I does look like I have a drive going bad (disk2) but it does look to be operational still so that does not explain my issue.

Looks like other before me have had the same problem but they do not seem to have a viable resotution for me.

Running 6.9.1 X-RAID with 3x 4TB drives

Any thoughts?

Netgear issue.JPG

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Gwilli14
Aspirant

Re: Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2,3.

Ok so it turns out my disk with some ATA errors was enough to stop the system from coming up. Even thou it was still maked as good. Power down and remove the bad disk. Power up and my system and shares returned but degraded. Put in a new drive and it rebuilt fine.

All good now.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The puzzle is guessing which data volume is "inactive".  My guess is that it's the bottom one.  You could try deleting it - but if the guess is wrong you will lose your data.

Another option is to use paid support (my.netgear.com).

Message 2 of 5
Gwilli14
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB Guru,

Yes thats looks to be my plan unless something happens over new years.

My be my Netgear will have a change of plans once its changes to the new year.

Thanks for the responce on a long weekend.

Regards

Greg

Message 3 of 5
Gwilli14
Aspirant

Ok so it turns out my disk with some ATA errors was enough to stop the system from coming up. Even thou it was still maked as good. Power down and remove the bad disk. Power up and my system and shares returned but degraded. Put in a new drive and it rebuilt fine.

All good now.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Gwilli14 wrote:

Ok so it turns out my disk with some ATA errors was enough to stop the system from coming up. Even thou it was still maked as good.

If the ATA errors continue to rise, then I suggest replacing the disk.  If another disk failed (and was replaced),  this issue could result in data loss.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements