× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2 - RN104

Enola
Aspirant

Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2 - RN104

Setup up as 2 2-Disk Volumes - RAID1 - Firmware:6.10.2

I had just bought new drives Western Digital 6TB Red Drives (WD60EFAX), installed them and went through the one week plus initial sync.  I then destroyed that original 4 disk volume and setup two volumes of two disks each.  I then proceed to move files to the first volume (P-2023-Data).  I was just about finished the process of moving these files when I lost connection to the RN104 (PQ-Showcase).  I checked the NAS and there was a strange error message (something about inline..) on the LED display on the front of the NAS.  I couldn't find anything online about the message other than if I couldn't perform a soft shutdown, I need to unplug it, so I did.  It restarted fine, so I continued moving files.  Same thing happened again, I lost connection, this time the message read "lookup_inline_extent_backref+4c".  I had to unplug again.  This time when I logged in the admin page, I received the "Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2.  message.

I have read so many posts about this issue that I am getting dizzy but virtually all say talk to Netgear support.  I would be happy to pay them but Netgear no longer provides support even for my RN214 that I just purchased new in February.  So you are my only hope (Obi-Wan)!

Some say swap out the disks, one referred to a SSH command "mount -o recovery /dev/md127 /data"  md127 was his volume name - Netgear warns if you enable root SSH you may be denied support (sounds like that is a moot point).  I have used SSH with my Raspberry Pis and I am old enough to have "enjoyed" working in the DOS world where everything was so much simpler.

I am at a loss what approach has the highest chance of success and is the least likely to prevent success of other methods.  

I would be happy to share the system logs.

Message 1 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Re: Remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1,2 - RN104

@Enola wrote:

I had just bought new drives Western Digital 6TB Red Drives (WD60EFAX)

Starting here, this is unfortunately not a good disk choice for ReadyNAS.   WD Reds use a technology called SMR (shingled magnetic recording), which often doesn't perform well with the file system that ReadyNAS uses.  Write speeds in particular can be extremely slow, which can result in a lot of issues.

I suggest exchanging or returning them.  The WD Red Plus drives are fine (the current model is WD60EFZX), as are the Seagate Ironwolf drives.

Since you are just setting up the NAS, I am assuming that you have all the files available elsewhere.  Is that the case, or do you have files that you need to offload?

Message 2 of 14
Enola
Aspirant

I was hoping you would be my Obi-wan.

I had checked the Netgear compatibility list.  I guess this will teach me to always buy a level up from the recommendation.  The one week window for return has closed but expensive lesson learned!

Unfortunately, I moved the files rather than copying them.  So, I do need to offload them, if at all possible.  

Message 3 of 14
schumaku
Guru

@Enola wrote:

Setup up as 2 2-Disk Volumes - RAID1 - Firmware:6.10.2

Beyond me on how it's possible to operate a more than four years (!) old ReadyNAS OS 6 build, and not update once installed to something more current subsequently - before diving into an adventure of replacing all HDDs, starting from scratch, with a less common storage layout.... 

@Enola wrote:

... Netgear warns if you enable root SSH you may be denied support (sounds like that is a moot point).  I have used SSH with my Raspberry Pis and I am old enough to have "enjoyed" working in the DOS world where everything was so much simpler.

For the standard NAS operations, ssh and root access is simply not required. This is why Netgear excluded the support for abusing the NAS and the support provided due to incorrect handling.

Linux, end even less an embedded OS, barely compare to the simplicity of Mess-DOS. 

Message 4 of 14
Enola
Aspirant

Sounds like I screwed up on many levels, is there a way back to retrieve the data I have moved.

Message 5 of 14
schumaku
Guru

Still have the old HDD set at hand, before doing the replacement?

Message 6 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Enola wrote:

So, I do need to offload them, if at all possible.  

First I suggest downloading the full log zip file.

Try powering down the NAS and removing disk 2.  Then reboot the NAS in read-only mode useing the boot menu.  That should result in P-2023-Data being mounted.  If that doesn't happen for some reason, power down again, reinsert disk 2, and remove disk 1 (leaving slot empty).  Then reboot again.

When the volume mounts, it will be flagged as "degraded".  That is normal. Offload the data before doing anything else.

After the data is offloaded, you can try to sync the volume again.

In general, RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe, so it would be good to put a backup strategy in place.

@Enola wrote:

The one week window for return has closed but expensive lesson learned!

Can you connect the disks to a PC (either SATA or with a USB adapter/dock).  If you can, you could try testing them with WD's dashboard utility.  If the disks fail the test, you could still do a warranty return.  (Of course do this with the NAS powered down).

Message 7 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@schumaku wrote:
with a less common storage layout.... 

Two RAID-1 volumes is a bit unusual, and it does have less capacity than XRAID/RAID-5.   But it does have one advantage - recovery is much simpler than RAID-5, since the disks are mirrored. 

Assuming that the issue is simply that the two disks are out of sync, the system should mount the volume with one disk removed, without needing to go in with ssh and use --really-force with mdadm. Of course there could also be btrfs file system corruption, which would be more difficult to deal with.

Message 8 of 14
Enola
Aspirant

Downloaded the full log zip file last night.

No joy on read only mode on either disk 1 or disk 2.  Both gave a "remove inactive volumes to use disk".  ANY next steps?

I am totalling in Mac world now, so no access to either at present.

Message 9 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Enola wrote:

I am totalling in Mac world now, so no access to either at present.

Have you ever used ssh (linux command line)?

If you like, you could download the full log zip, and copy it into cloud storage (dropbox, google drive, etc).  Then send me a link to via a PM (private message).  You send a private message using the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum page.

Make sure the permissions on the download link are set so anyone with the link can download.

Message 10 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

On the drive issue, blame WD, not Netgear.  The original Reds were fine in a NAS, and are on the compatibility list.  But I'm sure the complete WD part number on the compatibility list is different from yours.  WD made a significant change in the Red line, as @StephenB explained, and still refuses to admit that their "NAS purposed product" is not suitable for most NAS (since nearly all use some form of RAID).  They don't because they know they'd be subject to a lawsuit (though I'm surprised they haven't already been sued over this, at least somewhere outside the USA with better consumer protection laws).

On a 100 series ReadyNAS, I suspect you are running out of RAM (which the NAS uses for cache) when the drives "back up" from constant writing (which is the thing that SMR drives don't deal with well).

But, that doesn't solve your problem, and @StephenB is the right guy to help with that.

Message 11 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

They don't because they know they'd be subject to a lawsuit (though I'm surprised they haven't already been sued over this, at least somewhere outside the USA with better consumer protection laws).

FWIW, there was a class action lawsuit, which ended up settled.

I think it is telling that WD hasn't launched any new WD Red models, that line still just has the 4 SMR drives from 2019.  They have refreshed the WD Red Plus line.  

Message 12 of 14
Enola
Aspirant

As of today, Western Digital's WD RED WD60EFAX and the other EFAX drives are still listed as compatible on the Netgear website.  But the Netgear warning says "NETGEAR Support can and will deny support on devices using drives not found on the official compatibility list"- so since they are not providing support anyway - a moot point.

Hopefully, others will read @StephenB and your sage advice and not buy the WD Red WDxxEFAX line.

Message 13 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Enola wrote:

As of today, Western Digital's WD RED WD60EFAX and the other EFAX drives are still listed as compatible on the Netgear website.

All four of the SMR drives have the note saying that Netgear was relying on "other drives in the series", so they didn't actually test any of them.  No idea if they were relying on the results for older drives like the EFRX, or if they tested a higher capacity EFAX drive (SMR drives today are only in the 2-6 TB range).  

@Enola wrote:

But the Netgear warning says "NETGEAR Support can and will deny support on devices using drives not found on the official compatibility list"- so since they are not providing support anyway - a moot point.

Even when they were providing support, the mods said the HCL was now "only a guide".  But no one ever bothered to update the web page.

For some years now, I've wished they'd just remove the HCL altogether.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements