× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Remove inactive volumes to use the disk disk #1,2,3,4. How to get the files back?

Sebaa
Aspirant

Remove inactive volumes to use the disk disk #1,2,3,4. How to get the files back?

Hello,

I have a problem with my NAS RN 314.  After upgrade to 6.7.1 NAS was shut down today morning. After I turn it on I have problem to acces my files. Plaese look at the screens, it is possible to get my data back? Nas is running with 4 HDD ( ale the same models) on raid 5. Thanks for any advice.

nas_02.png

nas_03.png

Best regards.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: Remove inactive volumes to use the disk disk #1,2,3,4. How to get the files back?

One option is to use paid netgear support (my.netgear.com).

Note that if you purchased new between 1 June 2014 and 31 May 2016 then you have free chat support.

Message 2 of 7
RandomNASChap
Aspirant

Thanks for the response StephenB!

Just trying to clue myself in:

In your experience, is this a common error message? 

Is it a terrible 'oh dear, I hope you had backups, this is usually disatrous" message?

What sort of things cause it, or is a one-size-fits-all error message that isn't very specific?

I'm trying to get a feel for the scope of the problem.

It looks like I have the ability to, as you say, access free chat support (I purchased new on 12 July 2015).

Are there any specific tips when chatting with Netgear chat support?

Anything I should have on hand that they usually ask for?

Sorry, lots of questions, it's just that you were the only person to respond, and have SUPERUSER and GURU hovering around your avatar! 😉

Cheers,

RandomNASChap

Message 3 of 7
RandomNASChap
Aspirant

Argh. Sorry.

I must have hit "Reply" to the wrong thread - I thought it was the thread I started, with an almost identical problem, and StephenB's response acyually makes sense as a response to that thread too!

<slaps own forehead>

Sorry.

RandomNASChap

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@RandomNASChap wrote:

I thought it was the thread I started, with an almost identical problem,

No harm done.

I don't know the cause[s] for this particular symptom, but a lot of users do report it, and many seem to have healthy disks/volumes. In most cases it seems related to firmware updates, though I think I've seen other posts where it seemed related to unexpected shutdowns.

Likely something needs to change in the firmware - I'm not sure if that is better detection/reporting of issues, or if something isn't handled correctly at bootup.

Message 5 of 7
RandomNASChap
Aspirant

Appreciate the response and help. Thanks!

Message 6 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Support suspects Sebaa's issue in his case may be due to a failing PSU. This view is based on what they found when reviewing the logs in this specific case.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements