× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Removing RAID member for few days

RhysAndrews
Aspirant

Removing RAID member for few days

Hi guys,
So as per the recommendation of a fellow member here, I purchased a ReadyNAS Pro 6 for my workplace, along with six 2TB Hitachi Deskstars.

Since the beginning, disk 2 has been having increased S.M.A.R.T errors every time I rebooted, and once over night even without rebooting. It's currently up to 42 S.M.A.R.T errors.

My supplier recommends I ship the drive back to them - they'll send out a new one when they receive it. Being new to X-RAID I'm not entirely sure what's the best thing for me to do. If I took out the 2TB drive and shipped it back, can the NAS run at a decreased total capacity for a few days while I wait for the replacement? And then do I just slide the new disk in when I get it? Or do I really need to have a replacement drive available immediately? Do I remove the drive & insert the new one while the NAS is powered on and off?

I'm using X-RAID2 with dual redundancy.

Thanks,
Rhys
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Removing RAID member for few days

What kind of SMART errors?

X-RAID2 is not shrinkable. You'll have the same volume capacity but only single-redundancy till you replace the failed disk.
Message 2 of 6
RhysAndrews
Aspirant

All I have is "TA error count has increased in the last day. Disk 2: Previous count: 35 Current count: 42 Growing SMART errors indicate a disk that may fail soon. If the errors continue to increase, you should be prepared to replace the disk."

Where should I look for more details?

Happy to be running in single redundancy for a few days. So that won't cause any other problems in the interim?
Message 3 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

With ATA errors, I agree with your supplier that the disk needs to be replaced.

There is an option in Frontview to shutdown when there's a disk failure. So long as that's not enabled the NAS should continue to run fine while you wait for a replacement disk.
Message 4 of 6
PapaBear1
Guide

Do you have a current and complete backup?

If not, is it feasible to create one?

Remember, every user's guide points out the RAID is not a substitute for a good backup plan. While running with single redundancy is ok, it is not without risk.
Message 5 of 6
RhysAndrews
Aspirant

The guys,
The NAS & hard disks are new.. there are only a few test backups on there and it wouldn't be the end of the world if I lost the data. I also have a configuration backup, so I should be ok.

Thanks,
Rhys
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements