× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Removing a disk from XRAID

Weaverita
Apprentice

Removing a disk from XRAID

I am currently using 4 6TB drives in an X-RAID configuration.   I would like to upgrade to 3 new drives using 12TB drives in X-RAID.  In other words fewer larger disks.  I know that I can selectively reboot the RN316 with each 6TB drive removed to fail the drive then rebuild with 12TB installed.  After rebuild, wait for the rebuild to complete.    The challange, how do tell X-RAID to rebuild without using the fourth drive as there is plenty of space on drives 1, 2 and 3?  Thanks in advance.

Model: RN31664E|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay 6x4TB Enterprise Drive
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Weaverita wrote:

The challange, how do tell X-RAID to rebuild without using the fourth drive as there is plenty of space on drives 1, 2 and 3? 

You can't.  There is a way to shrink the volume with ssh, but there is some risk.  It's simplest just to leave the last 6 TB drive in place.

Message 2 of 5
Weaverita
Apprentice

Thanks StevenB.  Your fast response is greatly appreceated.  That said, this seems like a somewhat straigforward maintenance opportunity for ReadyNAS systems to keep them current.  Sometimes, adminstrators like to vacate old disk(s) just because they have a bunch of hours on them.    🙂   Is it not not an administrator's role to be parinoid about failures?  Retorical question...  Thank you again sir!

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Weaverita wrote:

That said, this seems like a somewhat straigforward maintenance opportunity for ReadyNAS systems to keep them current. 

Shrinking a volume is tricky, so it's not that surprising that Netgear hasn't chosen to automate it.

Here's a post from @Sandshark going over the steps: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Reducing-RAID-size-removing-drives-...

Message 4 of 5
Weaverita
Apprentice

Thank you @StephenB and @Sandshark for your thoughtful answers. 

While I generally consider myself as adventuresome, I am not willing to take the risk with my data.   I think I will hold out for the tested product feature.  Thanks again.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements