× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Renamed Shares and share files not showing up on mapped drives on other computers

Jim_Norman
Aspirant

Renamed Shares and share files not showing up on mapped drives on other computers

I have two RD526X NAS units.  I am using one to back up the other NAS.  They seem to be working okay, but I am seeing some unexpected things on other computers on the network.  

The first problem is that I created some shares on NAS2 and then decided to rename them.   However, when I try to map a drive on a Windows 10 computer on the same network, the original share names show up for mapping.  Why does the new name not show up?  This happens on two computers running Windows 10.

The second problem is missing files in the root of shares when viewed on mapped drives on other Windows 10 network computers.   I copied some files to the root of a share on NAS1 from a networked computer and then enabled the Backup job on NAS1 which copies the NAS1 share contents to a NAS2 share.   I can see the new files when in Readycloud view and in Admin view on NAS2, but when I view the NAS2 share on my Windows 10 computers, the new files are not there.  I have deleted the test files on NAS1 in case that makes a difference.  Why are these test files showing up when viewed in Readycloud and in Admin mode, but not when viewed on other computers as mapped drives or even when viewed in Network neighborhood?  I have enabled SMB on the NAS.

Thanks for any feedback.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Renamed Shares and share files not showing up on mapped drives on other computers

@Jim_Norman wrote:

Per your suggestion, on Video6, I entered the NAS-5 IP address and share name and the correct share names appeared under the ip address in Network.   The NAS-5 listing under Network initially displayed the new share names, but they were not accessible.  After a few seconds, the NAS-5 share names under Network reverted to the  old share names.  If I try to map a drive to the share, only the old share names can be selected in the dropdown menu.  However, if I enter the NAS-5 IP address and new share name, I can map a drive to it.

How do I get the NAS-5 shares under Network to display correctly without specifying the IP address?

This is sounding like it could be DNS / discovery  related, despite what you've already done.  Have you configured the hostnames on the two NAS to match their DNS names?  Windows 10 doesn't just use DNS, it also uses WSD discovery - which might be part of the puzzle.  WSD discovery is using the hostnames configured in the two NAS.

Pinging the NAS name from the windows CMD prompt might be informative - as might ping -a NAS-IP-Address.  You could also enter net view hostname and net view NAS-IP-Address, and see if they give different results.

I do suggest creating a NAS user account, and entering credentials for the two NAS into the windows credential manager - and not use anonymous access.  I'd enter credentials for both the IP address and the hostname.  You can just enter the username of the NAS account if you wish, or enter the password as well.  That might help with the access issue.

If you can't resolve it, you could work around it for now by putting the hostname and IP address in the Windows Host file.  That will override DNS and discovery.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

I am assuming you mean RN526X ReadyNAS.

@Jim_Norman wrote:

The first problem is that I created some shares on NAS2 and then decided to rename them.   However, when I try to map a drive on a Windows 10 computer on the same network, the original share names show up for mapping.  Why does the new name not show up?  This happens on two computers running Windows 10.

The new names should have shown up.  Did you rename them from the web UI? 

Can you try entering \\nas-ip-address\sharename into the file explorer address bar (using the real NAS IP address of course, and the new share name)?  That ought to show you the share contents.  

Perhaps try rebooting one of the PCs. 

@Jim_Norman wrote:

The second problem is missing files in the root of shares when viewed on mapped drives on other Windows 10 network computers.   I copied some files to the root of a share on NAS1 from a networked computer and then enabled the Backup job on NAS1 which copies the NAS1 share contents to a NAS2 share.   I can see the new files when in Readycloud view and in Admin view on NAS2, but when I view the NAS2 share on my Windows 10 computers, the new files are not there.  I have deleted the test files on NAS1 in case that makes a difference.  Why are these test files showing up when viewed in Readycloud and in Admin mode, but not when viewed on other computers as mapped drives or even when viewed in Network neighborhood?  I have enabled SMB on the NAS.

In some ways this sounds similar to the first issue - in both cases the folder contents shown on your PCs seems to be stale.  Deleting the test files on the first NAS wouldn't make a difference.

Did you try refreshing the file explorer pane on the PCs? (right-click in the pane, and select refresh).

Also, did you set up the mapped folders on the PC for off-line viewing?  If you did, then perhaps the PC hasn't synced them.  Note that the off-line feature copies the folder contents to the PC, so it does take disk space there.

You can confirm that the files are actually present on NAS2 by downloading them in the browser (using either readycloud or the admin ui).

Message 2 of 6
Jim_Norman
Aspirant

Stephen,

I renamed the Shares using Admin under the Web UI.

I have three Windows 10 computers on the same network as the two RN526X ReadyNAS units (named NAS-4 and NAS-5).  NAS-5 is the one with the shares I can't properly see.  One computer is a Dell 7390 laptop connected to the network via a dock.   The other two computers are very similar desktop units with identical LAN adapters.  I have verified that all three computers are using the same DNS servers.    I have had other share problems with the laptop, so I want to solve this problem on the two similar desktop computers first.  The two desktop computers are named Video6 and Video7 (I do video production and post-production for the retirement community I live in here in the Orlando, FL area).   

I first turned off all three computers and then rebooted the NAS.   When I turned on Video7, the renamed shares on NAS-5 appeared under Network and could be mapped and the missing files in the share root appeared.   When I looked at Video6, the renamed shares briefly  appeared and then reverted to the old names.   I have rebooted Video7 and the renamed shares continue to appear okay and the missing files in the root continue to appear. 

I have flushed the DNS cache on all computers with no effect.  I verified that all three computers and the two NAS units are using the same two DNS servers.

Per your suggestion, on Video6, I entered the NAS-5 IP address and share name and the correct share names appeared under the ip address in Network.   The NAS-5 listing under Network initially displayed the new share names, but they were not accessible.  After a few seconds, the NAS-5 share names under Network reverted to the  old share names.  If I try to map a drive to the share, only the old share names can be selected in the dropdown menu.  However, if I enter the NAS-5 IP address and new share name, I can map a drive to it.

How do I get the NAS-5 shares under Network to display correctly without specifying the IP address?

Thanks.

Jim Norman

Model: RN526X|ReadyNAS 526X – 6 Bays with up to 60TB total storage
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Jim_Norman wrote:

This is sounding like it could be DNS / discovery  related, despite what you've already done.  Have you configured the hostnames on the two NAS to match their DNS names?  Windows 10 doesn't just use DNS, it also uses WSD discovery - which might be part of the puzzle.  WSD discovery is using the hostnames configured in the two NAS.

Pinging the NAS name from the windows CMD prompt might be informative - as might ping -a NAS-IP-Address.  You could also enter net view hostname and net view NAS-IP-Address, and see if they give different results.

I do suggest creating a NAS user account, and entering credentials for the two NAS into the windows credential manager - and not use anonymous access.  I'd enter credentials for both the IP address and the hostname.  You can just enter the username of the NAS account if you wish, or enter the password as well.  That might help with the access issue.

If you can't resolve it, you could work around it for now by putting the hostname and IP address in the Windows Host file.  That will override DNS and discovery.

Message 4 of 6
Jim_Norman
Aspirant

Stephen,

I checked the Windows Credentials and NAS-5 was there along with the IP address for NAS-5.  NAS-4 was also there, but not the IP address for it (not that this is a problem with NAS-4).  I could not figure out a way to add a Windows Credential from that screen.

The NAS-5 hostname was assigned.  I deleted all anonymous permissions for the shares, leaving my Windows 10 ID and the Admin account, but that did not help.

Net View hostname and Net View IP address yielded different results.

I modified the Hosts file to add the IP addresses to NAS-4 and NAS-5 mappings and that fixed the problem.   I did this on all three Windows 10 computers including Video6 in case the problem reappeared on it.

I really appreciate your assistance.  If you are ever in the Orlando, Florida area, please contact me at jenorman1@gmail.com.  I would like to buy you lunch or dinner.    I have spent a lot of time on this and some previous laptop share problems without success.

Thanks again.

Jim Norman

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Jim_Norman wrote:

Net View hostname and Net View IP address yielded different results.

That confirms that windows wasn't associating the right IP address with the hostname.  You've haven't really fixed that, instead you are over-riding that association with the hosts file entry.

@Jim_Norman wrote:

I really appreciate your assistance.  If you are ever in the Orlando, Florida area, please contact me at jenorman1@gmail.com.  I would like to buy you lunch or dinner.    

I'm glad I was able to help (though I need to give credit to @Sandshark for the host file workaround - he's posted that tip for other users).

If I'm in Orlando, I'll look you up.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements