× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Replacing NV+ with what?!

swehjo
Guide

Replacing NV+ with what?!

Maybe this is not the correct forum for this type of question?!

Have been running an old NV+ in RAID configuration with 4 x 1TB disks until today. The power supply failed with a "bang". Time to replace the whole unit it I suppose. 

Very simple usage:

• I backup 4 PC incl my work PC, the latter being extremely important since I run my own business (management consultant with a lot of material). 
  • Stream music from time to time, but no film
  • Would like to use my 4 old disks. For the time being the amount of data is enough. No problem to format the discs since all data is available on the PCs.  The discs are compatible with at least the 314

As you can see my requirements are not high but I want a stable, high quality solution since this involves company data.

Best regards

Håkan

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@swehjo wrote:

Should I go for a 214 or a 314? Or something else?

All of these models are much faster than your NV+, so they will all be sufficient.  However, the RN314 was replaced by the RN424 last year.   Anything you'd buy now would be older inventory.

The RN214 is classified by Netgear as a home NAS so it has a three year warranty..  The RN300 and above are classified as business NAS, and have a 5 year warranty.

Looking at Amazon prices, I'd probably go with the RN424 - about $100 more than the RN214, but has that extra two years of warranty.  

You can certainly use your existing disks, though the new NAS will need to reformat them.  If they aren't on the current HCL, then Netgear might deny support if you were to have an issue.  Hardware warranty wouldn't be affected.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@swehjo wrote:

Should I go for a 214 or a 314? Or something else?

All of these models are much faster than your NV+, so they will all be sufficient.  However, the RN314 was replaced by the RN424 last year.   Anything you'd buy now would be older inventory.

The RN214 is classified by Netgear as a home NAS so it has a three year warranty..  The RN300 and above are classified as business NAS, and have a 5 year warranty.

Looking at Amazon prices, I'd probably go with the RN424 - about $100 more than the RN214, but has that extra two years of warranty.  

You can certainly use your existing disks, though the new NAS will need to reformat them.  If they aren't on the current HCL, then Netgear might deny support if you were to have an issue.  Hardware warranty wouldn't be affected.

Message 2 of 6
swehjo
Guide

Brilliant! Thanks for a quick response! All disks are on the HCL for all the versions we are talking about. 

Message 3 of 6
swehjo
Guide

Hi again,

Got my new RN424  today. I assume I can re-use the hard drive sleds I had in my NV+ and don't have to move the hard drives over to the sleds that came with the RN424?!

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Given the tendency of the NV+ trays to jam, I'd use the new sleds.  They don't need the screws, since the tool-less inserts will work with your relatively small drives.  But save the screws - larger disks often don't have the side mounting holes, and the screws are needed for those.

Message 5 of 6
swehjo
Guide

Thanks a lot Stephen! I'll follow your advice

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements