× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Replacing ReadyNAS RN31400 Chassis

BPreusing
Aspirant

Replacing ReadyNAS RN31400 Chassis

Hello,

my 4 years old RN31400 contains 4 harddisks and starts to be very loud sometimes, possibly the fan.

Today I upgraded the firmware to 6.10.2

So I decided to replace the chassis with a new one.

Is it possibly to put the existing 4 hds into the new chassis (exact same model) without data loss?

There are about 10 TB of data, which would cost many hours to backup and restore, so I hope I can avoid this.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@BPreusing wrote:

Your hint to RMA is welcome, but now I have ordered a RN424. If the noise persists, I have to determine, which disk it is and replace it and the old chassis will become a backup device, replacing my much older RNDU2120.

I do get the plan.  But if turns out to be the chassis, you could still do an RMA of the old one (and use the RMA as the backup). Just a thought.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi BPreusing,

Yes, you can move your 4 existing HDDs to the new RN314 without losing your data. You just need to make sure that you put the disks on the same slot. You may refer to this article for reference.

Regards,

Message 2 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@JohnCM_S wrote:

Yes, you can move your 4 existing HDDs to the new RN314 without losing your data. You just need to make sure that you put the disks on the same slot. 

Note you can directly migrate to any RN31x, RN42x, RN52x, or RN62x, as long as it has at least four bays. 

The warranty on the RN314 is 5 years for the original purchaser - if you are still covered, you could request an RMA.  Though it'd be good to confirm that the issue is the fan, and not the disks.

You could also replace the main fan in the RN314 (though that's not something I've done).

Message 3 of 8
BPreusing
Aspirant

Thank you very much for your very enlightening answer!

I will replace it with a RN42400.

Shouldn't I see harddisk errors in mail or at least SMART-display? There everything seems OK.

Message 4 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@BPreusing wrote:

Shouldn't I see harddisk errors in mail or at least SMART-display? There everything seems OK.

Not always.  I've had disks that make abnormal noises that don't report SMART errors or disk i/o errors. Disks that do that should still be replaced.  There is some troubleshooting info from WD on this here: https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16309  

You could try powering down, removing your disks (labeling by slot), and then boot up the NAS diskless - then see if you hear the same noise.  If you have a spare disk, then do a factory install with just that disk in place (slot 1).  That will engage the normal fan management (which I think won't happen if the system is diskless), and would give you another indication as to whether the problem is with the chassis or the disks.  BTW, make sure you reinsert your drives into the NAS when it is powered down.

Though some disk models are inherently quieter than others, and of course four disks will be noisier than just one.  So it is possible that the noise is coming from the disks, but is normal.  It is also possible that the chassis fan is running faster than usual because something is overheating (a disk or something on the system board).  And of course dust could be blocking the air flow.  What disks are you using?

@BPreusing wrote:

I will replace it with a RN42400.

If it were my NAS (and still covered by warranty), I would also look into getting an RMA.  You could then use the RMA as a backup NAS.

Also, I suggest that you should do some more troubleshooting, just to be more certain that the problem is the NAS chassis.

Message 5 of 8
BPreusing
Aspirant

Thanks again.

The noise (fast, ~120bpm: tack,tack,tack,...) is only sometimes, very low and started about 3 or 4 days ago.

I have attached a system screenshot where you can see my disks, too. All 4 disks are WDC and about the same age.

Dust is very likely. I will see, when I open it tomorrow.

Your hint to RMA is welcome, but now I have ordered a RN424. If the noise persists, I have to determine, which disk it is and replace it and the old chassis will become a backup device, replacing my much older RNDU2120.

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@BPreusing wrote:

I do get the plan.  But if turns out to be the chassis, you could still do an RMA of the old one (and use the RMA as the backup). Just a thought.

Message 7 of 8
BPreusing
Aspirant

Thanks for the helpful community support.

It turned out to be dust. I cleaned it with a strong vacuum cleaner, and now it is silent again.

I will replace it with a RN424 this weekend and use the RN314 as backup device.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements