× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replacing failed drive fails to sync, now all drives are inactive

teddis
Aspirant

Replacing failed drive fails to sync, now all drives are inactive

My RN214 has worked well for years with 4x2TB Seagate drives. The other day drive #3 failed. I was able to use the system volume in read-only mode. When I replaced the failed drive with a new 4TB Seagate drive, the admin panel shows 3 red drives (original good remaining drives) and the 3rd new 4TB in gray. I tried formatting the new gray drive. After reboot, they are all red and inactive. I continuously get alert "Remove inactive drives to use disk." Cryptic. I have backups, but really rather avoid restoring and use the innate syncing from existing XRaid drives. I'm fine mixing the new 4TB and just using 2TB of it. Not sure whether I toasted my RAID data or not, or how to proceed. Appareciate help and ideas. Thanks.

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Replacing failed drive fails to sync, now all drives are inactive

Were you using XRAID or FlexRAID?  Did you insert the drive with the volume in read-only mode?

One thing you could try is powering down the NAS, removing the 4 TB drive, and then boot up normally with that slot empty.  If the volume re-appears, then try hot-inserting the 4 TB drive.  You'll probably need to format it from the volume page to get it added to the array.

Message 2 of 4
teddis
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

I've been using XRAID. I replaced the original 2TB failed drive and it boots with status: Volume dat-0: RAID Level 5, Inactive; 5.4TB (100%) of 5.4TB used. I don't know what inactive means, but presume it means the volume is gone. I've attached a screen shot of RAIDAR.

I went ahead and formatted all drives, created a new volume, now syncing, then I'll recover from backup.

-Ted

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@teddis wrote:

I went ahead and formatted all drives, created a new volume, now syncing, then I'll recover from backup.

Probably the fastest way to get it back on line.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements