× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Replacing failing disk

kobari
Aspirant

Replacing failing disk

Hi all,

I have just received the following email:

Disk: Detected increasing ATA error count: [29269] on disk 6 (Internal) [ST3000VN000-1H4167, Z3100EWY] 21367 times in the past 30 days. This condition often indicates an impending failure. Be prepared to replace this disk to maintain data redundancy.

I have a raid-1 one setup (2 disks: 5 and 6), and was wondering if I can replace it a similar but not the exact same drive, e.g. if I buy a 3TB disk, would it work or would I need to find the exact same drive?

Also, where can I find the steps for doing this? Is a simple operation like plugging out the old one and putting in the new one is enough?

Thanks.

As a side note, this is on readynas 626X

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@kobari wrote:

I have a raid-1 one setup (2 disks: 5 and 6), and was wondering if I can replace it a similar but not the exact same drive, e.g. if I buy a 3TB disk, would it work or would I need to find the exact same drive?

The replacement doesn't need to be the exact same drive.  A 3 TB Ironwolf or a 3 TB WD Red Plus would both work.

However, don't get a desktop class drive (like a Barracuda) or the WD Red model.  The Red drive is SMR (as are most 3 TB desktop class drives).  SMR drives don't work well with ReadyNAS,  you want a CMR drive.

@kobari wrote:

Also, where can I find the steps for doing this? Is a simple operation like plugging out the old one and putting in the new one is enough?

I recommend hot-swapping (removing the old disk, and inserting the new drive with the NAS running).  It is best practice to update your backup before doing this.

Message 2 of 4
kobari
Aspirant

Thank you for the clarification!

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

If you think you may want to expand in the future, you can use a larger drive, too.  You won't see any increase in size until you add another drive of the same or larger size.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements