× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replicate "LAN connection not available" ReadyNAS 314 and Ultra 4 Plus

olje
Aspirant

Replicate "LAN connection not available" ReadyNAS 314 and Ultra 4 Plus

I have set up ReadyNAS 314 to replicate to a ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus.

I have purchased the license for Replicate for the Ultra 4 Plus.

I have finally managed to replicate everything, so so far so good. 

However, in all the logs it says that the LAN connection is not available and it has performed all the replication over P2P.

The two NASs are connected to the same network in the same Gigabit Switch.

After completion the Ultra 4 Plus will go off-site.

1) Does anyone know why it cannot use LAN when connected in the same LAN?

2) The Ultra 4 is not possible to discover in the ReadyCloud app for the Desktop, but is visible and possible to discover in the ReadyCloud app for Android.

3) When moving off-site do I need to change from the current manual fix IP address for the ReadyNAS. I assume this is necessary?

Thanks for any help I could get on this.

/olje

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless),RNDP400U (ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus)|READYNAS ULTRA 4 PLUS (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 4
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Replicate "LAN connection not available" ReadyNAS 314 and Ultra 4 Plus

Hello olje,

ReadyCloud for OS6 units, Ultra4 is an OS4 which will work with ReadyNAS Remote instead of ReadyCloud.

About the ReadyNAS Replicate, is it not backing up? Which NAS is the source and which one is the destination? This may need more details, if you can contact support about the RN314 ReadyNAS Replicate, it would be better so they can check exactly what's going on there.

Moving the NAS to another location/network means NAS needs to be on the same subnet of the new network so, it is best if you put it on DHCP.

Regards,

Message 2 of 4
olje
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply JennC,

I knew about the ReadyCloud compatibility issue for the OS4, however, there is no ReadyNAS Remote app do download anymore (it says discontinued), since all URLs now direct to ReadyCloud. Therefore there is no other way of viewing files on the OS4 unit than through the browsing window in Replicate.netgear.com. No administration what I have found is possible.

I am using the OS6 314 as main unit and have the OS4 Ultra 4 unit as a backup NAS, to be placed remotely.

I have backed everything up so it finally works, however, even when connected in the same LAN so far it can only connect through P2P and LAN connection not available according to the report log in Replicate.netgear.com. The problem for me has been that, due to P2P, the initial backup has taken days and weeks to complete, due to the low transfer speed of single or sub Mbit transfer rate.

I wonder if this has something to do with the lack of discovery of the OS4 unit in ReadyCloud, that prevents the units to connect for replication through LAN.

I will change the settings for the OS4 unit to DHCP ip assignation prior to moving off-site today.

Is there any way to reach the backup OS4 unit's admin pages when off-site given the lack of the remote.netgear.com app?

/Ola

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@olje wrote:

Is there any way to reach the backup OS4 unit's admin pages when off-site given the lack of the remote.netgear.com app?

You can select a secondary https port in the NAS (range is 49152-65535), and then forward that port in the router to the NAS.  You'll also need a ddns URL to reach the remote network.  There are some free ddns services (noip.com is one, some netgear routers also have free ddns bundled).

If, for instance, you selected 54321 as the secondary port, and olje.mynetgear.com as the ddns name, then you'd reach the admin page with https://olje.mynetgear.com:54321/admin in your web browser.

Another option is to install openvpn on the remote router, which will let you access everything on the remote network.  That might require a router upgrade.  Netgear Nighthawk routers have openvpn built in.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements