× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Request: Amazon Prime Photos for Backup

schalliol
Aspirant

Request: Amazon Prime Photos for Backup

Amazon now offers unlimited free photo storage. I can't describe just how great it would be if we could have Amazon backup a photo share.

Amazon Prime Photos

Thoughts on how to automate such a thing?
Message 1 of 12
lalaw
Aspirant

Just signed up for Crashplan as an offsite backup, but would love to see this as well. Most of the content on my NAS is photos.
Message 2 of 12
schalliol
Aspirant

Good to leverage free
Message 3 of 12
xeltros
Apprentice

I think there will be a problem... There is no Linux client on the link you provided. Until amazon provides one, we are stuck (unless they use a standard protocol, which I highly doubt, though I didn't do any research on the way they handle it).
Actually their OS X client is not available yet either. If their application is like crash plan and asks you where your photos are, you could point it to a share you made. Your computer will relay the file from the NAS to the amazon cloud. I have nothing better to suggest right now.
Message 4 of 12
schalliol
Aspirant

I think you're correct. I used OS X uploading of folders via Chrome. Oh well.
Message 5 of 12
xeltros
Apprentice

Amazon doesn't provide a linux kindle client, and selling books is a key part of their business. So I would be surprised to see a cloud client soon.
However I also know that amazon prizes customer satisfaction. If enough people ask for it, maybe they would think about it. I'm not sure how much the android (or mac) client and the linux client would have in common, maybe that's not such a hard task to port it. It depends on the code used, the way the app is designed and packaged. I highly doubt they would provide the sources though... So at best a deb and an RPM package. That said I wouldn't count on it if I were you.
Message 6 of 12
edank
Aspirant

There is an API, https://developer.amazon.com/public/apis/experience/cloud-drive/content/developer-guide , so seems like it should be possible for the app to get written...
Message 7 of 12
dsm1212
Apprentice

I've been looking at the REST API and got an app whitelisted with amazon. I was going to look for an open source backup tool that is modular enough to add this too, but to be honest, I then dragged and dropped my photos folders to the amazon windows app and it sucked up 90GB of photos in about 14 hours. (20Mb/s upload rate). I organize my photos by year so reloading the current year once in a while isn't a very big deal. Another option would be if I could automate it from windows I could do it from a vm on the NAS. So a schedulable windows tool would be OK too if someone knows of one.

steve
Message 8 of 12
felixvd
Aspirant

What has come of this? Is there an app, will there be one? Do we have to buy a Synology solution for this? This situation sounds quite disappointing.
Message 9 of 12
dsm1212
Apprentice

I never bothered to write the app. The amazon desktop app was so simple that I just use that. Does synology have an app for syncing with amazon?

steve
Message 10 of 12
felixvd
Aspirant

Yes, for their new 60$ for unlimited space offer as well apparently. It seems like a natural complement for a NAS: https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/home/

I just spent a few days fiddling to get Crashplan running on my machine, but if you can make a good app for Amazon I can set up and forget about, I'd be keen to use that and send a few bucks your way instead.
Message 11 of 12
schalliol
Aspirant

Agree with that!

I wonder with Google's new free unlimited photos launched yesterday if that could be even better.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements