× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Request for advice on expanding NV+ RND4000 disks

Joe-9O
Aspirant

Request for advice on expanding NV+ RND4000 disks

I have read through several threads but have not been able to find what I'm looking for. Apologies in advance if I miss a post that would have answered my request.

I have an NV+ V1, with 4 x 500Gb drives (Seagate ST3500630NS) running RAIDiator 4.1.6

It is also configured for X-RAID.

I recently received an alert that I should be prepared to replace one of the disks. 

I was thinking that it might make send to upgrade the disks to the max of 2TB each.

Could anyone advise if I can replace one drive at a time with a 2TB drive (from the recommended drive list) and allow the system to resync between each replacement. 

Will the system automatically reconfigure to the new 2TB disk sizes?

Thank you!

Avinash

Model: RND4000 (ReadyNAS NV+ v1)|READYNAS NV+ v1 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Request for advice on expanding NV+ RND4000 disks

@Joe-90

Yes your NAS is configured on X-RAID so it will automatically expand your volume as soon as the the last disk re-sync completes. See OS 4 Manual page 18. You have to replace the failing disk first and let it re-sync then proceed with the 3 other disks one at a time. With OS 6 Increase in storage space will start once 2nd disk replaced on RAID 5 Config has finished re-syncing.

Also, backing up your data before expnading is also advised and best practice.

HTH

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Joe-90

Yes your NAS is configured on X-RAID so it will automatically expand your volume as soon as the the last disk re-sync completes. See OS 4 Manual page 18. You have to replace the failing disk first and let it re-sync then proceed with the 3 other disks one at a time. With OS 6 Increase in storage space will start once 2nd disk replaced on RAID 5 Config has finished re-syncing.

Also, backing up your data before expnading is also advised and best practice.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 6
Joe-9O
Aspirant

Thank you for this very fast response. Really appreciated.

Message 3 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

But ignore the approved drives list for the NV+, it's woefully out of date.  Any NAS or Enterprise drive is a good choice (except archoive drives, of course).  The list for a newer 4-drive NAS would be a good guide.

Message 4 of 6
Joe-9O
Aspirant

Thank you for that further clarification!

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

But ignore the approved drives list for the NV+, it's woefully out of date.  Any NAS or Enterprise drive is a good choice...

I suggest either a 2 TB Ironwolf drive or a 2 TB WD Red drive.  I use the WD Red in my Duo v1, so I know for certain that one is compatible.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements