× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Restart network interfaces

Restart network interfaces

After installing openvpn I noticed tap0 getting a dhcp address as well. In /etc/network/interfaces I changed dhcp to static. Now I wanted to restart the tap0 device with ifup   Ifdown but these commands are not available  .   So is there a way to restart network/interfaces without rebooting?

Model: ReadyNASRND2120|ReadyNAS Duo 2TB (2 X 1TB)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

If you really wanted to dig into connman, you are able to use `connmanctl`, but I think what you are looking for is to have connman just ignore the tap interface.

You can modify `/etc/connman/main.conf` and add your interface to the `NetworkInterfaceBlacklist` field. The line will looks something like this:
`NetworkInterfaceBlacklist = LeafNets,docker,veth,zt,tap`

After that configuration saved, you will need to restart the connman service:
`systemctl restart connman.service`

Note: Since this is a system service, the configuration file will be overwritten with the firmware updates. I will see if we can add the tap to the blacklist in a future firmware release.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Michel-jacobs,

If this is an app you installed, I suggest to try contacting the developer.

Regards,

Message 2 of 7
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

You could run `ifconfig tap0 down` and `ifconfig tap0 up`.
Since you are looking into the network settings of the NAS, you may need to look into the connman settings for that interface.
Message 3 of 7

So, I tried ifconfig but I still get a dhcp address , the only solution I found that is working until a reboot is to reconfigure the tap interface from the admin page .. Which is not satisfactory at all because it only sticks till a reboot

Message 4 of 7

So, I tried ifconfig but I still get a dhcp address , the only solution I found that is working until a reboot is to reconfigure the tap interface from the admin page .. Which is not satisfactory at all because it only sticks till a reboot. How do I access conman settings?

Message 5 of 7
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

If you really wanted to dig into connman, you are able to use `connmanctl`, but I think what you are looking for is to have connman just ignore the tap interface.

You can modify `/etc/connman/main.conf` and add your interface to the `NetworkInterfaceBlacklist` field. The line will looks something like this:
`NetworkInterfaceBlacklist = LeafNets,docker,veth,zt,tap`

After that configuration saved, you will need to restart the connman service:
`systemctl restart connman.service`

Note: Since this is a system service, the configuration file will be overwritten with the firmware updates. I will see if we can add the tap to the blacklist in a future firmware release.
Message 6 of 7
0d0a
Tutor

Hello oom-9!

thank you for this answer, I hope you are able to add the tap interface to the blacklist.  In the mean time I will backup the existing conf  and make a new one using your advice!

Michel Jacobs (aka 0d0a)

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements