× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Restore from backup

Bazstad01
Aspirant

Restore from backup

Hi,

I have automated backup running on my ReadyNAS 2100 (Radiator 4.2.31), which creates a single backup file (Using RSYNC to another ReadyNAS).

How do I restore from this file to retreive a specific folder, or can I mount this file somehow to extract the folder i need?

Model: RNRX4000v2|ReadyNAS 2100 Chassis only
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Restore from backup

@Bazstad01 wrote:

Looks like I'm screwed then, but many thanks for the help and the links provided.

Well, you could try using the iSCSI initiator to connect to the destination LUN of the rsync backup job.  You have nothing to lose, and it's possible you'll be able to get the file(s) you are looking for.

For future reference, the best approaches are to use ReadyDR (on OS 6 NAS), or to run backup software on the server that is using the LUN to back up the files that are in it.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Bazstado01

Welcome to the Community!

You should be able to access your Backup from the Destination NAS. If you have access, it should be available within it's shared folder. Is the destination NAS on a remote location? If so, you may want to get access to it via VPN or ReadyCloud if it's an OS 6 unit.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 9
StephenB
Guru

ReadyNAS backup jobs don't work as you describe - they copy over files to a destination folder, not to an single file.

If you aren't using the built in backup jobs, then it'd be helpful to get more details on what you are using.

Message 3 of 9
Bazstad01
Aspirant

Forgot to mention, the backup source is an ISCSI LUN, does this make a difference to the file created?

Message 4 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Yes, it does make a difference: Strongly doubt the replicated container file can be re-purposed as an iSCSI LUN.

Look here: https://kb.netgear.com/24659/Why-Replicating-iSCSI-LUN-s-is-not-possible-on-ReadyNAS-OS-6 (sigh, you can ignore the ReadyData hint - these systems are no longer available). 

Message 5 of 9
Bazstad01
Aspirant

Looks like I'm screwed then, but many thanks for the help and the links provided.

Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Bazstad01 wrote:

Well, you could try using the iSCSI initiator to connect to the destination LUN of the rsync backup job.  You have nothing to lose, and it's possible you'll be able to get the file(s) you are looking for.

For future reference, the best approaches are to use ReadyDR (on OS 6 NAS), or to run backup software on the server that is using the LUN to back up the files that are in it.

Message 7 of 9
Bazstad01
Aspirant

I'm not sure how I would connect to it as I can't create a new LUN from the backup file, but thanks for the suggestion. I am currently setting up a file based backup job via the server holding the iSCSI connection.

Message 8 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

@schumaku wrote:

Yes, it does make a difference: Strongly doubt the replicated container file can be re-purposed as an iSCSI LUN.

Look here: https://kb.netgear.com/24659/Why-Replicating-iSCSI-LUN-s-is-not-possible-on-ReadyNAS-OS-6 (sigh, you can ignore the ReadyData hint - these systems are no longer available). 

Wow, that article is so out of date, it's amazing.  It talks of the long-gone ReadyNAS Replicate and long-abandoned ReadyData.  The basic concept remains, though.

Any file-level copy (like a backup job) can't properly duplicate an iSCSI LUN because the physical (block level) organization must be duplicated, not just file-level.  While the ReadyData used ZFS send/receive, the ReadyDR capability of ReadyNAS OS6 can also do block-level replication (it appears to be the Netgear implementation of BTRFS send/receive), so will work with an iSCSI LUN.  In order to make the backup available for restoration, it is necessary to clone one of the ReadyDR destination snapshots (typically, the latest, unless you know a copy was made after a change from which you need to recover).  Just how one goes about doing that for an iSCSI LUN, I have no experience.

I have only used ReadyDR in an attempt to move a share and it's snapshots to another volume.  Seems you can copy them, but you cannot make it a usable share on the destination and retain the snapshots connected with it.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements