× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Restrict Access

GHY75
Aspirant

Restrict Access

Hello !

I would like to restrict access to my network for several computers. But the issue is we share the same IP Adress... 

How can I resolve this issue with my Netgear ReadyNAS ?

I have tried to set up via SMB but it doesn't work...

Thank you !!

Model: RN31222D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay (2x 2TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Re: Restrict Access

@GHY75 wrote:

I would like to restrict access to my network for several computers. But the issue is we share the same IP Adress... 

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking exactly.

Are these computers behind a NAT router with the NAS on a different network?  Is the NAS in a different location? 

If the computers are on the same network, then they should be using different local IP addresses (generally starting with 192.168.x.x).

Message 2 of 12
GHY75
Aspirant

Hello Stephen B

Thank you for your reply.

Actually we don't have a local IP starting with 192.X.X.X but 172.X.X.X

I tried to set up HOSTS but it doesn't work... I prefer not to use a password because I have several batch

Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@GHY75 wrote:

Actually we don't have a local IP starting with 192.X.X.X but 172.X.X.X

In the range 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255?

Can you explain more on having multiple PCs with the same IP address?  How exactly is that set up? What is the network path from the PCs to the NAS?

Message 4 of 12
GHY75
Aspirant

Our ipv4 is 172.16.XX.XX

As we share the same internet connection we have the same internet's IP adress. I don't know how it's set up nor how we are connected to the NAS... Sorry for that I am not an IT expert...

Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@GHY75 wrote:

Our ipv4 is 172.16.XX.XX

As we share the same internet connection we have the same internet's IP adress. I don't know how it's set up nor how we are connected to the NAS... Sorry for that I am not an IT expert...

Normally you have a single IP address for the internet connection, but your router will assign a unique local ipv4 address to every PC.  If your PCs can be used at the same time, they can't have the same local ipv4 address.  Your network wouldn't work if that were the case.

If you have a Windows PC, you can see it's local ipv4 address using one of the methods here: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/find-ip-address-windows.  I think that if you look at that, you will see different IP addresses for each machine.

You can also see the local IP address used by the NAS if you look at it's network settings page.

172.16.x.x addresses are private (and your local addresses are also - even if they use a different range), so they are safe to post.  They cannot be routed over the internet.  It would be helpful if you can post the full addresses you are seeing for your various PCs and the NAS.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

Message 6 of 12
GHY75
Aspirant

It's true each computer have a local ip (172.16.24.15 and 172.16.24.21) when I try HOSTS I give the ip 172.16.24.21 because I want to access to the NAS I click Apply and Ok then I don't have access to the network

Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

You are talking about the HOSTS file for a share?  That is, you are clicking on the share settings wheel, then choose SMB.  After that you are selecting Network Access and then HOSTS?

@GHY75 wrote:

because I want to access to the NAS I click Apply and Ok then I don't have access to the network

Can you clarify "I don't have access to the network"? 

Are you saying you don't have access to the NAS share from the PC that is using 172.16.24.21?  Or something else?

In general:  I think a better way to restrict access is to create NAS user accounts with passwords, and then disable anonymous and everyone access to the shares.  You can then set the PCs up to automatically use the appropriate NAS user account when they access the NAS.

Message 8 of 12
GHY75
Aspirant

"You are talking about the HOSTS file for a share?  That is, you are clicking on the share settings wheel, then choose SMB.  After that you are selecting Network Access and then HOSTS?" Yes

"Can you clarify "I don't have access to the network"? " When I modify hosts with my IP and try to connect to READYNAS BACK UP from the PC 172.16.24.21 it doesn't work. The access is deny...

The issue with passwords is my programs (batch) bug thus I prefer to stop access to READYNAS from the IP whether than from a password

Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@GHY75 wrote:

The issue with passwords is my programs (batch) 

You can save the password as part of the windows credential, so it would be automatically applied whenever you access the NAS using SMB from that PC.

That should resolve your batch program issue.

FWIW, I have an application server (windows 10) that does this, and there are several batch scripts that I run regularly from that server.

Message 10 of 12
GHY75
Aspirant

I don't like to write password inside code...

I don't undersand why Hosts doesn't work..

Do you have any idea ?

Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@GHY75 wrote:

I don't like to write password inside code...

Me either, and I didn't propose that you do that.  I suggested adding a user credential in the windows credential manager.  Your code will then work without modification.

@GHY75 wrote:

I don't undersand why Hosts doesn't work..

See the note on page 76 of the user documentation (http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/READYNAS_OS_6_SM_EN.pdf 😞 Note: For SMB, the access rights for each host depend on the access rights of the user.  So you still need to configure user-level access. 

Another way of saying this:  If your IP address isn't in HOSTS then you will be denied access.  But putting your IP address into HOSTS doesn't mean you will be granted access.

Are you depending on anonymous access now?  If so, is that something you changed when you added the IP into HOSTS?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements