× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Resync after power failure

aks-2
Apprentice

Resync after power failure

I had a power failure yesterday, and my ReadyNAS NV+ v2 had no backup power source (UPS), so it went down and remained off. There were no users of the unit at the time, not for many hours in fact, but once I powered it up, it started a resync. This took about 5 hours, I have 8TB in one volume across 4 disks (4TB/4TB/3TB/2TB all WD Red).

I rebooted the unit again today, this time with a full volume scan, everything appears to be ok, and I no errors have been reported. I also SSH'd and checked the root directory for any odd named (orphaned?) files and there are no suspicious signs. Everything looks good.

What would be a good way to verify that I have not lost or corrupted files, or should I just reset everything back to defaults and restore a backup now?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@aks-2 wrote:

There were no users of the unit at the time, not for many hours in fact, but once I powered it up, it started a resync.  Everything looks good.

What would be a good way to verify that I have not lost or corrupted files, or should I just reset everything back to defaults and restore a backup now?

I don't own a v2 NAS.  But I believe the system is designed to do a resync whenever it detects an unclean shutdown - which it would do in this case.

It seems pretty unlikely that there would have been cached writes, given that no one had been using the NAS for hours.  The volume mounted normally, which is also a good sign.  So I think the odds of file corruption is low.

If you are concerned, then perhaps use a file verification tool to compare the NAS files against your backup.  If something doesn't compare, then check the file dates, and see if it was updated after the backup was run.  That would be less disruptive than doing a factory reset.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@aks-2 wrote:

There were no users of the unit at the time, not for many hours in fact, but once I powered it up, it started a resync.  Everything looks good.

I don't own a v2 NAS.  But I believe the system is designed to do a resync whenever it detects an unclean shutdown - which it would do in this case.

It seems pretty unlikely that there would have been cached writes, given that no one had been using the NAS for hours.  The volume mounted normally, which is also a good sign.  So I think the odds of file corruption is low.

If you are concerned, then perhaps use a file verification tool to compare the NAS files against your backup.  If something doesn't compare, then check the file dates, and see if it was updated after the backup was run.  That would be less disruptive than doing a factory reset.

Message 2 of 4
aks-2
Apprentice

Thanks, I will do a file comparison as suggested and report back - it will take a few days I suspect.

Message 3 of 4
aks-2
Apprentice

OK, for my own sanity, I did a full file comparison, the only chenges were related to Excel spreadsheets that update internal 'last accessed' data but keep file date/time unmodified.

I also purchased a CyberPower UPS now, it alerts my NV+ v2 whenever the power is lost, allowing time for it to shutdown safely if necessary :)!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements